Finding the right scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
Hello I'm in Taylor County Texas and I am looking to buy a new digital scanner so I can pick up the local police fire and EMS I do not know which one to get that is going to work with the new digital capabilities I want to pick up anything and everything in Taylor County Texas

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello I'm in Taylor County Texas and I am looking to buy a new digital scanner so I can pick up the local police fire and EMS I do not know which one to get that is going to work with the new digital capabilities I want to pick up anything and everything in Taylor County Texas
Welcome to RadioReference, Keith

Looking at Taylor County in the database, most of the smaller cities, as well as Taylor County agencies, are conventional (not trunked) at this time. Some are using P25 (digital) conventionally.

The City of Abilene is mostly using their EDACS/ProVoice system. There are four Uniden scanners that can utilize a paid upgrade & receive Province. These are the BCD325P2, BCD996P2, BCD436HP, and BCD536HP. However, most, if not all, of the PD talkgroups have gone encrypted since ProVoice scanning became possible. This information is based on various posts in the Texas forum regarding Abilene. Dyess AFB is using P25 Phase I, but I suspect that sensitive talkgroups may be encrypted, even though not tagged as such in the dtabase.

Abilene, in the next couple of years or so, maybe sooner, will be converting to a P25 Phase II system. While PD may also be encrypted when that change is made, fire, at least dispatch, may remain in the clear. To monitor that system, once the change is made, would require one of the newer scanners, or at least one of the Whistler or GRE(PSR800) older models that can do Phase II.

San Angelo, to your south, is currently using a P25 Phase II system, though most talkgroups are only using Phase I at this time. The other counties around you are mostly conventional, some using P25, the same as Taylor County is.

For scanners that are P25 Phase II capable:

Current Model Uniden:
Note that ALL of the scanners below will receive P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II signals. All (except the HomePatrol-2) can utilize paid upgrades to receive DMR systems or ProVoice.

Uniden BCD436HP (Handheld)
Uniden BCD536HP (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BCD325P2 (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996P2 (Base Mobile)

Uniden Home Patrol 2
This model can be used as a desktop scanner, or with optional available mounts, used in a vehicle. While not really designed as a ‘true handheld scanner’, it does run on batteries and can be carried in a coat pocket or in a small belt tool holster.

Current Model Whistler:
All of the scanners in this group can receive P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II signals. These also can utilize a free upgrade for receiving DMR systems.

WS1088 (Handheld) Has keypad.
WS1098 (Base/Mobile) Has keypad and a detachable head for mobile installations.

TRX-1 (Handheld) Has keypad.
TRX-2 (Base/Mobile) Has keypad and a detachable head for mobile installations.
The TRX-1 & TRX-2 also have an available free upgrade to enable reception of NXDN systems.

Previous Whistler Models that are also P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II capable, also have a free DMR upgrade:
WS1080 (Handheld) (Same as the WS1088, except lacking the numeric keypad)
WS1095 (Base/Mobile) (Same as the WS1098, except lacking the numeric keypad)

The scanners below have a paid upgrade available through Whistler, to make them DMR capable, as well as P25 Phase I & Phase II (all except the Pro-18 were already Phase II capable). This upgrade also makes them eligible for support from Whistler. All are discontinued units. Also see this RadioReference thread.

GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack PRO-18 (Handheld)
Radio Shack Pro-668 (Handheld)

KeithJoseph

BCD325p2

I think im gonna purchase the BCD325P2. I JUST HOPE it does what i need it to

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think im gonna purchase the BCD325P2. I JUST HOPE it does what i need it to
That scanner will work for everything in your area currently in use, or planned, for public safety. I have the same one in my collection of scanners. It has a good, sensitive, receiver, and is a very handy size for a grab and go scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Is there a way to hear the encryption?

No. Encryption is purposely designed to make it mathematically impossible to do so, unless you are an authorized user and have the encryption key, or you are an Einstein-level mathematician and are able to find and exploit a weakness in the encryption algorithm so you can deduce the key before the heat death of the Universe.

KeithJoseph

So ive got the ws1010 right now. Im really not trying to go completely broke during rhe process of getting a scanner. Anywhere i can get the upgrades and software for free on the bcd325p2

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The DMR upgrade is $60 directly from Uniden. No way to get that for free.

For software, ProScan is the best choice. it's $50, but has a 30-day free trial.

fasteddy64

In Abilene currently the DMR upgrade will allow you to listen to the CARR busses, I am not aware of any DMR users.
The ProVoice upgrade will allow you to hear Abilene Police Department PD1, their main dispatch talk group, that's about it.

In the not too distant future the EDACS system will transition to P-25 Phase II. I have no idea what will be encrypted and what wont.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So ive got the ws1010 right now. Im really not trying to go completely broke during rhe process of getting a scanner. Anywhere i can get the upgrades and software for free on the bcd325p2
As Fasteddy noted, the only active DMR in Taylor County are the buses, so you would not need that paid upgrade unless the buses, or another possible (business?) user interests you.

The ProVoice upgrade cannot be obtained free, but once Abilene converts from EDACS/ProVoice to P25 Phase II, it would be of no use to you. No paid upgrade is needed for the 325P2 to receive Phase II transmissions. If you keep an eye open at online sources such as eBay, Craig's list, or the classifieds here on RadioReference, you may spot one of the older GRE/Whistler scanners that I linked above (that will do P25 Phase II) at a more comfortable price. Don't overlook pawn shops, garage/yard sales, and estate sales, as sometimes you can find a diamond in the ditch there at a great price. See this long running thread for other places members found bargains.

Programming software for the 325P2, FreeSCAN is available for free, though if you want to also be able to import systems directly from the database here, a Premium subscription is required. However, you could get a subscription to 3 or six months, to get your imports done, then let it expire. FreeSCAN does have a built in option, EZ-GRAB, that allows you to do a customized copy & paste of information from a website.

The database scanners, which include the Uniden HP-2, 436HP, and the 536HP, come with software that downloads the whole RadioReference database to program those scanners. That does not require a separate subscription or fee for the software. That's also the case with the Whistler/GRE scanners mentioned. They also come with software, and database access.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This is the base station now will that pick up all the digital stuff in Abilene

I'm trying to find the best cheapest radio scanner
While the WS1065 will pick up all of the conventional channels in the Abilene area, including those that are digital, it will not be able to pick up the P25 Phase II system that Abilene will be upgrading to in the next year or two. If they move to a Phase II system, and if they use Phase II talkgroups, the 1065 would not work for those. On the other hand, if Abilene followed the same pattern as San Angelo has (at least up to now), of a Phase II capable system, but using only Phase I talkgroups, then it would work. I don't know exactly what Abilene plans to do- whether to use P25 Phase I talkgroups, even though the system is Phase II capable, or move fully to Phase II. If Abilene were to stick with Phase I talkgroups, you would be able to monitor any that were not encrypted. If Phase II, then no go. The WS1065 cannot handle those and cannot be upgraded to do so. Encryption, no matter if Phase I or Phase II, is not monitorable, but until they switch, you may not know which to expect.

I would suggest that you look for a good price on the Whistler/GRE scanners that I listed above under 'Previous Models'. If you can get a decent price on one of those, you're covered for either Phase I or Phase II. Software for these units is available from the manufacturer, and is free.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to find the best cheapest radio scanner

Why don't you save a few bucks, wait a few months, and get something that will really make you happy? Uniden BCD436HP.

Or, with less patience, get an old digital scanner like the Uniden 396XT which won't monitor DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.