AR8000 Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

brueger

Feed Provider
Anyone recall the name of the AR8000 software authored by the UK fellow named Donald Gray?

Anyone recall the name of his software? I'd like to mess around with it again and may still have a copy on some old backup CD. Just need the name. However, I'd like to get in touch with Donald again.

Thanks

Brian

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
There was something called greenlight I think. Also Ar86ctrl, AR8200toolkit, controlsoftar8600. The 8600 software seems to work with the 8200 as well.

pnoelw

connecting to the 8000.....?

Hi Brian

Did you have any luck with software? SysLabs programme RadioControl states that it can control the AR8000 http://www.radioctl.com/en/devices.html

There is a trial version http://www.radioctl.com/en/trial-download.html

I'd like to be able to programme the 8000's memories now that I've moved countries/continents? I could do it manually but it's so much quicker and more flexible by computer......

How are you physically connecting to your AR8000? I have previously (back in the 90's!) used the Optolinx box but don't have it any more. Does the 8000 use CI-V protocol? Could I just buy a USB to CI-V converter? I have the 2.5mm mono socket mod on the 8000 for data comms.

Regards

brueger

Feed Provider
AR8000

Noel,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

No, I had not seen that particular piece of software. I will definitely check it out.

I purchased and built an interface from a Brit - Donald Gray way back in the mid-90s. I used his software, which he gave me for free, at the time.

I still have the interface and I suppose if I got a USB <-> serial converter, I could still program the scanner.

Also, I used the ribbon cable input that is below the batteries on the bottom/back.

At the moment I have lent out that scanner, but I plan to never let it go because it has such outstanding features.

Cheers

Brian

--
Check out my photography: Brian*Rueger Photographer
Check out some of my other photography: Brian Rueger's Library | Photobucket
A Proud Member of the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy."

Last edited:

pnoelw

Brian

It is indeed a great handheld and the only one I've ever had. I imported it to South Africa in 1996 and it has served well over the years whenever I've been out and about - airports, airshows, shipping ports, etc.

On a hunch, I decided to check through a few old boxes last night and found the Optolinx and 3 or 4 of the flat ribbon cables! how ones memory plays tricks - I thought I had let it go many years past. I already have a usb-serial cable which I'm using on the Icom R8500 so all I have to get now is a DB25 to DB9 adapter and I should be all set to go.

All the best.

brueger

Feed Provider
AR8000

I should not need the "DB25 to DB9 adapter" right? Only going from my laptop to the control box to the scanner.

pnoelw

I just need the gender converter because my usb-serial adapter ends in a db25 and i need a db9 into the optolinx box.

Status
Not open for further replies.