Battery Backup Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm looking into doing a battery backup mod for the 536 and other mobile scanners that would do two things:

1. Prevent the scanner from shutting down or rebooting due to voltage sag when the vehicle is started.

2. Allow the scanner to run for several hours on internal battery power if external power is interrupted or disconnected.

I'm curious what kind of demand there might be for this, and what kind of battery life people would be interested in. Would an hour or two be adequate (assuming that the primary use would be reboot prevvention during vehicle start), or if not, what would be deemed desirable? 8 hours? 12? 24? More?

Alternatively, would an external device daisychained into the 12V power supply with 3-pin inputs and outputs be more interesting?

Trainguyrom

Honestly an external device with generic ports would be a lot more useful, since it could be used for solar/other renewable installations, or of course for environments where one wants a UPS for devices in the vehicle. I could see it very popular amongst /r/vandwellers subscribers.

I personally would use such a system in a planned system for eliminating wall warts and preparing an easy hookup for a couple of cheap aftermarket solar panels.

You mentioned inputs, which sounded like multiple, would this imply a primary and fallback input, such as input form 12V mains, then a secondary renewable input?

One other note, as a 996 owner, I'd feel a bit left out if your mod was 536-exclusive...

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I’m using a dc-dc converter along with a powergate. The converter does buck/boost to hold voltage @ the set point (12vdc). The input range is around 10.5-16vdc. The power gate drops the load if the input voltage drops below the set point for a period of time. I don’t remember how long, but it’s at least a few minutes.
My 536 will usually run for a couple of days off of my trucks dual batteries before the power gate drops out.

Also, you might look into a dc ups system. Power werx and power stream, among others sell varoius parts and self contained units.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.