OES Vehicle Around North County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

While running some errands, saw this OES vehicle in Valley Center.

Notice the low/high band VHF rooftop antennas.

Attachments

• OES Vehicle.jpg
    OES Vehicle.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 513

northzone

Premium Subscriber
I will confirm that. It is a state radio tech. After OES took them over they marked all their vehicles as in the picture. Kinda takes the fun out of traveling, the techs hate it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What does OES stand for? Why would this take the fun out of traveling?

CalOES is the California Office of Emergency Services.
They are the Emergency Management Agency for the state.
Among other things they do radio systems for some state agencies, they have some fire engines, mobile command posts, etc.

As for taking the fun out of traveling….
Looking like an emergency vehicle often results in other drivers doing silly stuff around you, like driving a few MPH below the posted speed limit, won't pass, etc.
A plain white vehicle blends in well, most people don't take notice, they leave you alone, don't drive like little old ladies around you, etc.
Logos and names all over the vehicle also tends to make you an easy target. Drive 5mph over the speed limit, you get reported. Stop for lunch, and someone complains about state vehicles being used for "lunch runs".

I like my plain white truck. It's got exempt plates, but most people never notice. No logos, no blinky lights, no crap.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
As one who drove OES vehicles throughout California for more than two decades, I can agree with northzone and nmckenna. Even with visible red / amber lights in the vehicle, the unmarked vehicles didn't get anywhere near the attention the marked ones do today.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
People go up to the marked vehicles and report all sorts of complaints about parking in the handicap spot, someone cut them off, noise complaints etc. as if they are an officer and can do something about it. Me, I like to walk up to them and whip out a Beofang and ask for some tech support right when they're about to bite into their lunch or drink their coffee.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
People go up to the marked vehicles and report all sorts of complaints about parking in the handicap spot, someone cut them off, noise complaints etc. as if they are an officer and can do something about it. Me, I like to walk up to them and whip out a Beofang and ask for some tech support right when they're about to bite into their lunch or drink their coffee.

That's good.
I've had a few people unintentionally do that to me at work. Put on my straight face and try to find a kind way of asking "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING YOU DUMB SON OF A B*(#@!!!"

Still can't figure out why people buy those things.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Those trucks were running around a few months ago doing tests on the CHP TAN radios system...CHP got all new low band antennas, which are longer than the old ones...they say no improvement. :)

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
The whole CHP CHPRS '3 year project' now in it's 12th year has been a fiasco from the start.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
—NOT the same vehicle as above—

Was at a meeting today and someone from CalOES was there. Here's a better view of a similar vehicle:
zAoaaJS.jpg

1ie3de3.jpg

Low Band Kenwood, two XTL's. The HHCH is for the MSAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.