Urban Warfare Training Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

According to a post by 12 News on Facebook, the 13th MEU is in the Phoenix area conducting urban warfare training through March 11th.

Most of the training will be conducted at night in restricted areas, but keep an eye out for increased military helicopter movement around the Valley.

If you hear any communications related to it, post it here.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

The article didn't say.

They didn't say what those sites were, 2 years ago when the 11th MEU was here, either. At that time, they only said that Phoenix PD would be providing perimeter security around those restricted sites to keep civillians out.

John
Peoria

milcom_chaser

According to a post by 12 News on Facebook, the 13th MEU is in the Phoenix area conducting urban warfare training through March 11th.

Most of the training will be conducted at night in restricted areas, but keep an eye out for increased military helicopter movement around the Valley.

If you hear any communications related to it, post it here.

John
Peoria

Perhaps it's here?

Attachments

• Training Area?.jpg
    Training Area?.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 371

KB7MIB

There's an Arizona National Guard range in that area. That may be a normally restricted area. I don't recall seeing buildings there either, that would be conducive to urban warfare training exercises, when I've driven by it in the past.

John
Peoria

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
There's an Arizona National Guard range in that area. That may be a normally restricted area. I don't recall seeing buildings there either, that would be conducive to urban warfare training exercises, when I've driven by it in the past.

John
Peoria

According to
https://ktar.com/story/1974228/marines-sailors-conduct-urban-training-phoenix-next-week/
the training will be within city limits.

In the past, they have also used the north end of Yuma Proving Ground (near Quartzite) where there is an urban training area near a drop zone.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/16/urban-combat-hits-three-states-over-nine-days.html

KB7MIB

Many years ago, they trained in downtown Phoenix, rappeling down onto and "raiding" high rise buildings, during the overnight hours.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

At about 4:15pm, I saw a pair of what looked like H-53 Super Stallions headed eastbound parallel to Bell Rd in Surprise. I don't know where they came from, or where they're headed to.

John
Peoria

Phoenix805

At about 4:15pm, I saw a pair of what looked like H-53 Super Stallions headed eastbound parallel to Bell Rd in Surprise. I don't know where they came from, or where they're headed to.

John
Peoria

At four different times I saw 3, then 2, 2, & 2 helicopters flying east along Glendale Ave. I figured they came from Luke but who knows.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Last year they were doing some of these exercises at the Wittman Auxiliary Airfield, roughly 2 miles from my house. Interesting listening to the man-packs talking to the helicopters to direct them in.

I have heard a large increase in Snake Eye traffic recently, as well as other MilAir stuff in the ranges north of Wickenburg, I don't know if these are related to the MEU's or not but they are talking about similar type scenarios.

milcom_chaser

Last year they were doing some of these exercises at the Wittman Auxiliary Airfield, roughly 2 miles from my house. Interesting listening to the man-packs talking to the helicopters to direct them in.

I have heard a large increase in Snake Eye traffic recently, as well as other MilAir stuff in the ranges north of Wickenburg, I don't know if these are related to the MEU's or not but they are talking about similar type scenarios.

Were the man-pack radios up in the 407Mhz band?

KB7MIB

Some movements are being announced on 123.025. Last night, I heard them moving South from the tank farm, then from South Mtn towards Gateway airport, which is where they are flying out of.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.