Stratford PD P25E

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimTailor

Stratford PD is identified in the database as P25E on the same frequency they've used for years. Can the HP-1 receive this mode?

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
nope, only authorized radios within the system will be allowed to listen into the towns police department. unfortunately this is what the scanning hobby is coming too,

cg

Premium Subscriber
The P25E means P25, which the HP1 can normally receive, but they are using encryption (E). Not a specific Mode, just the way that Radioreference chooses to display it.

chris

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Radio Reference Encryption Guide...
E = Full Encryption
e = Partial Encryption

mkt853

Nearly every PD in Fairfield County is encrypted or has plans to. It's really accelerated in the last 5-10 years.That's what happens when you have towns with endless supplies of cash, eager radio sales people, and police that generally want to operate under the cloak of encryption. It's unfortunate and the only way the trend reverses itself is with legislation. I don't know how cops did their jobs in the old days when there was no such thing as digital trunked encrypted radio systems.

mkt853

Long before encrypted systems became ubiquitous (let's call it 1980s/90s), PDs used Nextel PTT, then cell phones, and now MDTs to transmit sensitive info. I really don't get the point of encryption on general dispatch channels. I think the next step in this cat and mouse game is going to be people using their drones to monitor police activity and then tell the world about it via social media as it's happening. Still not as good as being able to listen in directly, but enough to annoy public safety wishing to hide their CFSes via encryption. CSP probably goes full time encrypted in the near future which means law enforcement monitoring is no longer a thing in CT given that CSP is the primary law enforcement agency in most of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.