TRX-2 Frequency Step Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblin82

Before I spend the money on a TRX-2 I would like to know if it's possible to input 150.7900? I have a cheaper GRE PSR-200u and when I put in 150.7900 it automatically changes to 150.7875. The BCD536HP I sold didn't have this issue, nor do my other scanners. I am wanting the TRX-2 as there is more NXDN coming online. Thanks

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I tried it on my TRX-1 and it changed to 150.7875. Tried it with flexstep on and off.

ramblin82

Thanks, I was hoping the steps would be adjustable. The frequency in question is for a local fire/rescue, not too big of a deal but I hope whistler will address this in a firmware update. Would it be best to get a newer narrowband non-digital scanner & add a discriminator tap to it for NXDN, or get the TRX-2?

ramblin82

Thanks Wackyracer, however I'm in Indiana (USA). Would changing the bandplan be a problem as I'm unfamiliar with the TRX-2. Is it worth purchasing?

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I'm still curious if it's worth the money over the step issue?

I was able to add that frequency to ezscan, however I didn't attempt to put it on the scanner.
If that is a primary entity you want to monitor, I would not spend the money buying a scanner that won't pick it up. Now if there are other entities then by all means get one, but make sure everything you want to monitor is not encrypted via the RR data base and researching your states forum on RR.

N8IAA

Before I spend the money on a TRX-2 I would like to know if it's possible to input 150.7900? I have a cheaper GRE PSR-200u and when I put in 150.7900 it automatically changes to 150.7875. The BCD536HP I sold didn't have this issue, nor do my other scanners. I am wanting the TRX-2 as there is more NXDN coming online. Thanks

What agency/city/county uses that frequency? I can't enter it into my 1088, but I can in my RS-197. Is it the correct frequency?
Just wondering,
Larry

ramblin82

I went ahead and ordered the TRX-2. I guess it's not too big of an issue for just the one frequency but one would think that whistler would address this. I know there's NXDN coming soon for my county. Not sure if it matters but it's listed as an input frequency in the RR database.

Black Top Fire & Rescue INC: ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNHM411 - BLACK TOP FIRE & RESCUE INC

My county: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=757#cats

Thanks again for all the help.

N8IAA

OK. Curious why you would want to listen to the repeater input frequency? You would hear what you want on 154.34. License doesn't show NXDN, just FMN.
Will it be a NXDN system, or just conventional? Regardless, the TRX will be able to hear the transmissions.
Larry

Last edited:

ramblin82

Thanks N8IAA, I'm not really familiar with the repeater input side of things. So basically I just need the other frequency to hear everything & not the input right? I know some of the fire departments are going NXDN in my county as I heard them talking about it using DSD through one of my older disc/tapped scanners about two months ago, I think they were just testing the coverage area, said it would be finished around springtime. I can't remember which frequency they were using to test though.

N8IAA

It makes sense that smaller departments are switching to NXDN and DMR. New radios and better communications.

Larry

Ubbe

Frequencies are only checked against bandplans when you enter them. Change the bandplan to another one that allows the frequency being entered and then change back to the bandplan you would like to use.

Whistler have always been inconsistant with their bandplans as they change and sometimes stops working with each upgrade. Suggest to Whistler that they follow bandplan only when doing search and not when programming frequencies. In search the flexstep option should enable a step size of your choice to be programmed.

/Ubbe

ramblin82

After messing around with the TRX-2 for a couple months I've discovered another small frequency step flaw.

1. Official freq is 464.8625, when I try enter this freq in EZ Scan it changes to 464. 866250.
2. After importing 464.866250 into scanner, I go into radio and manually change it to 464.8625 which the scanner accepts. When scanner receives signal on 464 8625, the signal meter goes to full bars but no voice or anything.
3. If I change the freq to 464.865625 it comes in perfect loud and clear.

I know 464.8625 is the official freq, it's listed in FCC database, and my other scanners pick it up normally. So is this a flaw or something?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.