Yaesu: Yaesu FT70DR Battery options

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5KVV

Please tell me someone has sourced a high capacity battery for the FT70DR. I've checked all the usual suppliers but it seems the factory 1800mAh is the only thing available at this time.

I love this little radio, but it goes thru the battery like crazy. My FT60 with a 2500mAh battery will out last it 5 to1.

I usually run commercial HT's, but a VFO comes in handy every now & then.

FKimble

It's a fairly new model. Aftermarket batteries require a market to sell to. These radios are all still on their original batteries. Probably take at least five years before you see aftermarket unless a commercial HT also uses the same battery,

Frank

W5KVV

Hi Frank,

That's what I'm seeing as well. The 60 has a good selection of aftermarket batteries since the Vertex line also uses the same batteries. Looks like the 70 doesn't have that luxury.

Good radio, but a certified battery eater.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
A few suggestions:
1. Get a drop in rapid charger.
2. Get an extra battery. Rapid charger will recharge faster than you draw down.
3. Use lowest power setting possible. I use L2 or L3. Only use high power for simplex.
4. Get a higher gain antenna. The stock antennas are poor. Comet SMA 503 is good.
5. Use DC cord if possible. I have some 7.5Ah lead acid batteries for extended field use.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
+1 for the post above

I have a second battery and the drop in charger. Huge difference. You can have the back up battery charging while using the original. Until they come up with something better or higher, this is the best we can do for this issue with the battery. Great little radio indeed.

Manny

SCPD

QRT
Yeah trying calling now.....You get nobody...it rings and rings and rings..
Nobody calls you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.