Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyrosa

I will be sitting for my Tech license in a couple of weeks and I'm still new to this stuff so forgive the ignorance. I'm interested as most in getting a cheap baofeng but wanted to see if there was a way to get 45.88 on these HTs? I just want 45.88 to listen to local fire/rescue.

The fire/rescue website says 45.88 crossband to UHF.not sure exactly what that means except in my studies I do know that UHF is form 300mhz to 3 ghz. The HT's have FM65-108 rec only, 136-174 MHz and 400-519.995 MHz

I don't think this HT will work but someone please educate me?

PS if N1IXF has his ears on, howdy. :)

cralt

Crossbanded means it's linked "across" the 2 bands. So if they talk on 45mhz it should come out the 400mhz(uhf) frequency also. Your bofang can get that.If you tell us what town then I am sure someone would have a more definite answer.

Older vhf/uhf only scanners are dirt cheap. You are probably better off looking for one and use that instead of trying to use a bofang.

tonyrosa

Awesome info. Getting into HAM is like drinking from a firehose, there is so much for me to learn, I'm looking for middlefield CT fire operations. I know they broadcast on 45.88 and according to broadcastify they crossband to UHF. The reason for the HT is sometimes I'm out in the woods and hear the town siren. I would like to know what is going on. The HT is handy in case I need help, cell phone service and be spotty.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you do not transmit on the Fire Department channel unless they authorize it. Even in an emergency! Stick with the HAM frequencies for transmitting if you have your HAM license.

Dave

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
45.88 is middlefield and haddam fire. All of middlesex county has low band crossed banded to UHF. it is a solid system. if UHF goes down still have Low Band in the trucks

tonyrosa

Make sure you do not transmit on the Fire Department channel unless they authorize it. Even in an emergency! Stick with the HAM frequencies for transmitting if you have your HAM license.

Dave

Thank you for the info. Of course I would never broadcast on an emergency channel. I would just like to hear on one device that I could also call out on. It sounds like this HT does not exist. I was hoping to get a HT that could receive on 45.88 and transmit on only where I am authorized.

Again I appreciate all the advise. too much info, too little brain :)

cg

Premium Subscriber
According to the RR Database, you would hear the same conversation on 453.2500 PL 167.9

One of the inexpensive Chinese DungFlung radios would receive that.

chris

tonyrosa

According to the RR Database, you would hear the same conversation on 453.2500 PL 167.9

One of the inexpensive Chinese DungFlung radios would receive that.

chris

RR Database ??? Ugh....being new to something is frustrating. It is amazing how little I know about radios even though I consistently get 30 correct on sample Technician tests.

tonyrosa

Sorry for the rapid fire questions but this is all part of my continued learning. The HT is only 1/4/8w but does that power only matter on the transmit side? The broadcasting station's power determines the "promulgation" (Hope I used that word correctly)

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the rapid fire questions but this is all part of my continued learning. The HT is only 1/4/8w but does that power only matter on the transmit side? The broadcasting station's power determines the "promulgation" (Hope I used that word correctly)

Yes, the wattage selection is for the transmit side of the radio only. It is not necessary for receiving.

"Promulgation" is probably not the right word you want to use. That word means "formal proclamation or declaration that a new statutory or administrative law is enacted after its final approval"

Did you mean "modulation" or "propagation"?

tonyrosa

Yes, the wattage selection is for the transmit side of the radio only. It is not necessary for receiving.

"Promulgation" is probably not the right word you want to use. That word means "formal proclamation or declaration that a new statutory or administrative law is enacted after its final approval"

Did you mean "modulation" or "propagation"?

BTW would the 2nd village that Anson Phelps founded be Ansonia or is that too obvious?

tonyrosa

so I tune to UHF 453.25 then CTCS 167.9? is PL=CTCS ? Sorry for all the newbie questions. This is like learning a new language.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
so I tune to UHF 453.25 then CTCS 167.9? is PL=CTCS ? Sorry for all the newbie questions. This is like learning a new language.

Yes, a PL is the same as CTCSS. These are usually two or three numbered followed by one number after a decimal point. A DPL (Digital Private Line) is three numbers without a decimal point.

PL is analog and DPL is digital generated to help "block out" other users on the same frequency.

So with the frequency you typed above, if you program 167.9 as the PL, only radios that transmit that sub-audible tone would be the ones you hear on your radio.

Hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.