Open Stub J-Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I'm thinking of building an Open Stub J-Poles VHF UHF antenna to put in my attic and using it on the Uniden BCD996P2. But I have a few questions.

1) Anyone use one and does it work well?
2) If I build it, can I use threaded rod and angle iron? Does it matter if the elements are solid or do they have to be hollow?
3) Can I solder the coax directly to the metal or do I need a filter?

Attached is a picture of whet I'm thinking of building.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitledj.jpg
    Untitledj.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 679

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I mainly scan VHF 154 to 160 and UHF 460 to 501. with about a 25 foot run with coax. IDK what kind it is though.

prcguy

The Arrow antenna pictured is not a J-pole, its something else. The coax connects to an element that is 1/4 wavelength on 2m and 3/4 wavelength on 440Mhz providing a good match and ok pattern on 2m. They add a 1/2 wave "sympathetic radiator" for 2m and a 1/4 wave stub for 440Mhz that resonate and re-radiate some of the signal present on the driven element.

A J-pole is a 1/2 wavelength radiator with a 1/4 wavelength matching transformer that you tap for the best match to 50 ohms. The 1/4 transformer would allow matching to 10 ohms or 100 ohms or most anything between a few ohms and a few thousand ohms. The Arrow antenna does not have that. What it does to is make the coax and mast part of the antenna and the mast and coax will radiate on the Arrow, which is one of many reasons I would never buy or make one. For Arrow its a gimmick to manufacture antennas that work well enough for a cheap price.
prcguy

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Thank you for all the feed back. I just want a good all around antenna to hook up to my scanner. I thought it would be a fun project to build on. So, my question is, what indoor scanner antenna is good for when I want to do? I'd still like to build one, it's going in my attic in the rafter above the ceiling, The coax will run down between the roof and drywall and come out the wall, about a 20 foot run. The antenna height will be around 45 feet off the ground and I'm on top of a hill.

Thanks

ipfd320

Banned
Just Posting what he Has There and what i had and Used thats all---the pic is an arrow j-pole same pic same design--as for Scanner recieve I Like the Ol T.V. Log Periodic Antenna Myself---But Everyone has there own opinion with a million different answers to meet there needs---good luck chief

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Arrow antenna pictured is not a J-pole, its something else. The coax connects to an element that is 1/4 wavelength on 2m and 3/4 wavelength on 440Mhz providing a good match and ok pattern on 2m. They add a 1/2 wave "sympathetic radiator" for 2m and a 1/4 wave stub for 440Mhz that resonate and re-radiate some of the signal present on the driven element.

A J-pole is a 1/2 wavelength radiator with a 1/4 wavelength matching transformer that you tap for the best match to 50 ohms. The 1/4 transformer would allow matching to 10 ohms or 100 ohms or most anything between a few ohms and a few thousand ohms. The Arrow antenna does not have that. What it does to is make the coax and mast part of the antenna and the mast and coax will radiate on the Arrow, which is one of many reasons I would never buy or make one. For Arrow its a gimmick to manufacture antennas that work well enough for a cheap price.
prcguy

I'm sure the engineers at Arrow are thrilled that you set them straight about their antenna. False advertising.

Oh wait, it is a j-pole. It is direct fed which is a very tried and true method of making j-poles. I've been doing it for years. I talked to a friend who has been licensed for well over 50 years and has a Phd in electrical engineering. He uses the direct fed method. It used to appear in the ARRL Antenna handbook. I guess the people at Arrow read about it too.

These threads contain more disinformation about j-poles than any other forum I've ever seen.

The j-pole is, in fact, an end fed Zepp. This type of antenna is direct fed and always has been. It does not use a shunt feed. It works on HF and it works on VHF/UHF.

By the way, I've had one of these antennas for many years and it works very well. Measures 50 ohms and has good bandwidth.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
RadioChief55, the J-Pole antenna is one of the most controversial antenna design, at least here on the RR forums. There's many who say that it is not a J-Pole but of some other design. It IS a "J-Pole" antenna; and for your needs, it don't matter what it's called.
I've built a couple of these and bought one. They all worked great.
For your needs for scanning, it will do quite nicely in your attic. VHF will be received very well; but UHF may, and I say may be slightly less received.
If you build it to specs, you should be quite happy with your work.
And:
the metal can be iron, copper, or aluminum. Aluminum is lighter and easier to work with and hang.
It can be tube or solid. Tubing is much lighter weight.
And yes you can solder your joints. BUT, by using an SO239 connector, you will be farther ahead should changes need be done.
KO6JW_2 gave a great description of the J. That made me happy to read his post.

majoco

Stirrer
Why not read the original article instead of all the 'chinese whispers'.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-pole_antenna

Interesting that the Corps of Signals book pages 163 and 164 feed the j-pole with 600 ohm open line, not coax and the airship HF version feeds the bottom of the J through a transformer - perhaps the bars across the stub are insulators just to hold them apart or one might be a matching piece. I'd like to experiment but my airship is away for maintenance...... :)

prcguy

Still not a J pole but maybe a 3rd cousin. A J pole is a very specific design using a tapped 1/4 wavelength line section as a 50 ohm to high impedance transformer to match an end fed 1/2 wave radiator. The Arrow does not specifically have that. A Cushcraft Ringo is a 1/2 wave radiator with a tapped 1/4 wave tuning thing but that doesn't make it a J-pole either.

An end fed zep is simply a balanced feedline ending at a 1/2 wavelength radiator only connected to one side of the feedline and there is no impedance matching because you feed it with a high impedance tuner. That is not a J-pole.

Arrow is clever but also cheap and they are simply using a very cheap, no factory tuning required way to mfr antennas. And don't make me get my Phd's, Senior Staff Scientists and Fellows friends on a bus to your house to debate your Phd friend.....

I'm sure the engineers at Arrow are thrilled that you set them straight about their antenna. False advertising.

Oh wait, it is a j-pole. It is direct fed which is a very tried and true method of making j-poles. I've been doing it for years. I talked to a friend who has been licensed for well over 50 years and has a Phd in electrical engineering. He uses the direct fed method. It used to appear in the ARRL Antenna handbook. I guess the people at Arrow read about it too.

These threads contain more disinformation about j-poles than any other forum I've ever seen.

The j-pole is, in fact, an end fed Zepp. This type of antenna is direct fed and always has been. It does not use a shunt feed. It works on HF and it works on VHF/UHF.

By the way, I've had one of these antennas for many years and it works very well. Measures 50 ohms and has good bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.