Threshold Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1NIJ

Hi, All!

New to the Forum. Have a PSR-800 with the DMR W1080 upgrade. Also have a question on trunked threshold settings.

The "Easier to Read" manual talks about default 95%-75% settings and suggests using 85%-55% settings instead.

Looking at the Whistler EZ software for CT State Police, the settings are at 95%-88% !

I have no expertise here, so am asking if anyone can explain this, and ought I change those 95-88 settings?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi, All!

New to the Forum. Have a PSR-800 with the DMR W1080 upgrade. Also have a question on trunked threshold settings.

The "Easier to Read" manual talks about default 95%-75% settings and suggests using 85%-55% settings instead.

Looking at the Whistler EZ software for CT State Police, the settings are at 95%-88% !

I have no expertise here, so am asking if anyone can explain this, and ought I change those 95-88 settings?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Write down your original settings, and try it. You can always set them back to what they were.

troymail

Silent Key
It is interesting that Whistler (and GRE before them) would feel the best "default" settings here are 88 and 95 but someone on the Internet feels they know better. If this were true, you'd think Whistler would change the defaults. Perhaps Mark's experience is that the modified settings worked best for him on one or more systems but that is why each user can change them.

Any/all of these settings can be changed by users and it is really nice to have that option.

Personally, I rarely if ever change factory settings that affect the reception or decoding of a system. As with most things, I have experimented with settings in the past but I now can't remember the last time I made a change like that. Of course, that isn't to say that you should not change or experiment - you should.

Having said all that - usually you would look at changing something like this to solve some problem... what is the problem you are trying to solve?

EDIT: I suspect the reason the HI value is so high is because you want the radio to find not just an "ok" control channel but the "best" control channel. Finding an "ok" CC could result in locking onto a more distant site (assuming it is a multi-site system). However, I suppose not being able to achieve 95% could result in not locking onto a CC at all (I'm really not sure).

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nothing wrong with trying different ones as you can always set them back to the original. Try 75-95 or 70-90 and see how it works for you.

rwier

Years ago, I spent about ten hours (spread over one or two months) trying different combinations of the DSP Level Adapt and the Data Decode Thresholds. This was like trying to solve an equation in three unknowns by trial and error. I eventually settled on DSP 52 and DDTs of 15 Low - 95 High.

With the default settings, I was receiving somewhere around 25% to 40% of my programmed traffic. Also, the scanner (800) never locked on a transmission for more than 5-8 seconds. With the 52/15/95 combo, the scanner began receiving more than 95% of the desired traffic with hold times equal to the length of the transmission (as long as 30+ seconds.\

And, to 03msc: Thanks! Back then, I immediately posted these results to the RR Forums. About 75% of the responding comments advised me that the Owner's Manual said to not change these settings without contacting Uniden first.. I believe that over this long time period (years) since then, only two or three RR Members indicated they tried the settings and it improved their reception. I can't recall anyone posting that they tried these settings and they didn't help.

N1NIJ

Great Member Support

Many thanks to the members' quick responses to my question. I'm happy to be a part of the forum.

The advice is well taken, including the practical suggestion to write down the original settings in case there is a need to go back to them.

Seems that there is a lot of experimenting to do - adding to the fun of scanning.

Rick

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Seems that there is a lot of experimenting to do - adding to the fun of scanning.

You used to be able to simply input a bunch of frequencies, maybe set a per-channel delay, and scan to your heart's content. Nowadays, we need an advanced engineering degree to handle the more complex digital scanners.

N1NIJ

RWIER:
With respect to the DSP level adapts and the data decode levels, can these be edited globally, or do they need to be done on an object by object case!
RickZ

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
RWIER:
With respect to the DSP level adapts and the data decode levels, can these be edited globally, or do they need to be done on an object by object case!
RickZ

DSP is global, threshold are by system

rwier

RWIER:
RickZ

Advanced Features (Tab) > DSP Level Adapt:

Trunked Radio Systems (Tab) > Trunked System Site Information > Site Details (Tab) > Multi-Site Settings > Data Decode Thresholds:

Note about Data Decode Thresholds:

If you decide to create a single Site Scanlist, the DDT option (Low-High) will "gray out". Then, in order to choose new settings, you must create a "dummy Site" (no frequencies).

One time setting for DSP LA.

Each "Site" in a TRS can be individually set (DDT) to a High-Low option

Years ago, I spent about ten hours (spread over one or two months) trying different combinations of the DSP Level Adapt and the Data Decode Thresholds. This was like trying to solve an equation in three unknowns by trial and error. I eventually settled on DSP 52 and DDTs of 15 Low - 95 High.

With the default settings, I was receiving somewhere around 25% to 40% of my programmed traffic. Also, the scanner (800) never locked on a transmission for more than 5-8 seconds. With the 52/15/95 combo, the scanner began receiving more than 95% of the desired traffic with hold times equal to the length of the transmission (as long as 30+ seconds.\

And, to 03msc: Thanks! Back then, I immediately posted these results to the RR Forums. About 75% of the responding comments advised me that the Owner's Manual said to not change these settings without contacting Uniden first.. I believe that over this long time period (years) since then, only two or three RR Members indicated they tried the settings and it improved their reception. I can't recall anyone posting that they tried these settings and they didn't help.

how do i change my setting threw EZscan for my TRX-2?

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
DSP - Advanced Features/Recieve

Threshold you have to go in each trunk system and select site details. It will only be available if you have more than 1 site.

Ubbe

Thresholds are used to select the best site. If you only have one site in a system the thresholds are not used as there are only one site to monitor.

If you set the low threshold to 15 it is the same as locking into a site and stay there, even if there is a site with better signal.

Help file says: "When a system is first enabled, the scanner will scan through the sites from the first one listed looking for a control signal. When one is found, the scanner will sample the data stream and calculate a decode rate based on expected data transmission rates. If the scanner finds a site that meets the high threshold value, it will use that site until the decode rate drops below the low threshold value. At that point, the scanner will attempt to find another site using the same process."

/Ubbe

mine are Single Sites Clevelands Radio Tower is like 1 mile away (( ALL CLEVELAND SITES HAVE THE SAME CCs))) and Parmas Tower MAYBE 2 or less miles from me i did change the settings on the Control Channels from NFM to FM seems to help better.
I'm In Cleveland Ohio live in a Surb Called Parma.

Status
Not open for further replies.