Bridge at (Miami) Florida International University collapses, multiple people killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Looking at the artists conception of this bridge, it appears it is to be supported mid span with a column, yet there was none. A witness reported that hours before, stopped underneath with his convertible top open he heard a loud whipping sound and a construction worker looking up and concerned. This sounds like a prestressed cable gave away long before the accident.

SCPD

QRT
I was noticing that also where it lacked support from the top column mounts. Big lawsuits here.

Unfortunate motorists had to be victims in this.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I was noticing that also where it lacked support from the top column mounts. Big lawsuits here.

Unfortunate motorists had to be victims in this.

People just minding there own business driving along. This is criminal.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think I am going to nervous driving around town. I am near a University where many students are killed each year crossing the busy highway.Terrible planning. I have thought we should have a pedestrian bridge there. One was built on the other side of town two years ago using concrete. I am going to look at tomorrow as I drive by. Very hard to avoid it.

I think this bridge in Miami was supposed to have a center support. Some engineer was probably coerced into writing it out of this unfinished stage. I would hate to be him.

SCPD

QRT
I recall reading same. Though what doesn't China make own, or have part in anymore. One could argue industry, manufacturing needs to return home and stay home. Excuse of its cheaper isn't cheap anymore. The topic could stray off but we all know it's money talks and tie sell outs happens in many levels everyday.

I agree with RFI-EMI-GUY. Criminal in a negligence manner. Whether unintentionally or intentional.

Many don't want to admit it but I know persons in contrector levels who tell of stories that occurs to date of Cutting corners, inspectors getting freebies to hand me downs passing quality control and nothing ever happening so why worry, it'll be ok. Happens everyday except this time like other scenerios that occured something happened cutting a corner.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I recall reading same. Though what doesn't China make own, or have part in anymore. One could argue industry, manufacturing needs to return home and stay home. Excuse of its cheaper isn't cheap anymore. The topic could stray off but we all know it's money talks and tie sell outs happens in many levels everyday.

I agree with RFI-EMI-GUY. Criminal in a negligence manner. Whether unintentionally or intentional.

Many don't want to admit it but I know persons in contrector levels who tell of stories that occurs to date of Cutting corners, inspectors getting freebies to hand me downs passing quality control and nothing ever happening so why worry, it'll be ok. Happens everyday except this time like other scenerios that occured something happened cutting a corner.

I had a new roof put on my house. I called the City to come out for the final inspection. The inspector (who now runs the PW dept) comes to my house. Looks at the permit, says to me, "Oh you used xyz company, they do fine work" and pulls out his pen to sign off the permit. So I say to him, hey your the inspector, here's the ladder, lets inspect this before you sign it off! Did not give me a lot of confidence.

There is a small coastal city here in Florida that had a 150 foot self supporting tower come down during a pretty bad wind storm. That is not unusual. What was unusual is that it was lightly loaded, newish and it folded neatly over on two legs and pulled the third foundation and rebar all the way out of the ground. This is sandy soil, there was supposed to be a hole about 25 feet deep filled with concrete. Only about 7 feet were embedded in concrete, there was a 18 foot tail of bare rusted rebar. During the pour, the contractor certainly must have noticed the hole collapsed and he also probably sent several loads of concrete back to the plant. Instead, he told no one.

The company I worked for sent some very picky guys out to inspect concrete pours and core samples. You need very picky people for these construction projects. I was very picky myself, more on the technical side than construction as that wasn't my skill set, though when I saw something looked poorly done it went into my report. I got tired of working with people who were laissez-faire. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unfortunately that is what we have become in this country.

Last edited:

JACK26

Prayers to the victims of this bridge collapse. Expect a documentary from either Discovery or History channel. "When engineering projects go wrong..' my guess is that the mistakes were made by the general contractor and was not following design instructions from the architect. It looks similar to the walkway collapse at the KC Hyatt many years ago.

ipfd320

Banned
Death toll rises in Florida bridge collapse---The Company in Question (MCM) also had an Investigation on another Bridge Incident I Think in Virginia (not Exactly Sure I Read So Much on this I Got Lost)--There is in the Story it Had to Do With the Cables Being Adjusted and Gave Away----But Anyway here is a News Link with Alot of Pics and Complete News Story----http://abcnews.go.com/US/pedestrian-bridge-florida-international-university-collapses/story?id=53774444

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

NEW: Dashcam video shows FIU bridge as it collapses; Engineer warned of cracks on Tuesday
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018...llapses-engineer-warned-of-cracks-on-tuesday/

Better video...seems to be a man working on the top of the bridge where it breaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucflj-MsJBI
It is pretty clear the bridge failed right where they were working on it. There never should have been traffic running under it, there should have been temporary cribbing. Both those fly in the face of the ABC design philosophy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.