Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaness2001

Premium Subscriber
Did the power on Phoenix Dispatch go down recently? I've lost it in my quarters in the far East Valley but I still hear it when I go mobile.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
How long did you listen? There is at least a north site and a south site, and with only a handheld scanner I usually hear one well and the other one horribly or not at all. Sometimes one might be quiet for a while. Just a thought, but I'll do some checking tomorrow.

Phoenix805

Did the power on Phoenix Dispatch go down recently? I've lost it in my quarters in the far East Valley but I still hear it when I go mobile.

I'll admit I don't know all the intricacies of their system, but I do know their signal strength goes up and down a lot. I always assumed they have transmitters in different areas around the valley and use the one closest to the incident for the best signal. But then if it's been consistently lower (or completely gone), I don't know, unless the site closest to you is down and they've been using other sites.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Phoenix does use transmitter steering on several sites during callouts on Channel 1. Here is a past discussion:

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...087-phx-fd-154-190-tx-steering-simulcast.html

From your home in the East Valley, listen to VHF Channel 1 for a period of time. You will hear that calls to far North/West valley departments are lower signal strength (or not able to be received) compared to calls for Tempe or Chandler which will be stronger signal at your location. As mentioned in the thread posted above, you can also listen on RWC talkgroup 1795 and hear all the calls.

Additionally, they may have changed a VHF site's transmitter power or antenna configuration/directionality that affects your reception. You also may have a new source of interference that affects your reception in your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.