Newbie needs scanner help Please & Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi All.. I'm new to this scanner thing.. I've always listened to an app on my phone.. But recently, the County I live in switched to Digital Trunking (Mille Lacs). I also have a Son that is a Deputy Sheriff in bordering Sherburne Co.. Which Mom likes keeping tabs on him ;)

I recently purchased a BCD996P2.. but after 3 days of trying to program it, manually and via this site's import feature into Freescan.. with no luck and way too much stress, frustration and headaches, I returned it! Couldn't deal with that expensive paper weight, I'm too old to be frazzling my brain like that!

What I am looking for is a simple and easy to program scanner, preferably handheld, so I can bring it to work with me and listen... Only care about Sherburne Co. (still analog) and Mille Lacs Co. (now digital trunking).

My question is.. What do you seasoned scanner enthusiasts recommend for good scanners for this nosy Mom.. LOL

Thanks much in advance!

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Look at either the Home Patrol 2 or the BCD536HP all you need to do is put in your Zip COde choose what you want to listen to.

Sherburne County has been on Digital for several years so you would need a digital scanner for them as well. Have you returned the scanner yet, there are people in the area that could help. If you want to sent me the file for the scanner I could take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
I did return the other scanner already.. frustrated me too much! lol

If Sherburne is Digital.. How come I can still listen to them on my phone app (currently listening right now) but can't get Mille Lacs anymore?

This is all so confusing.. I just want to listen to these 2 counties together

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Someone is providing the feed for the phone app with a scanner Sherburne has been on ARMER since 2006 or 2007 Mile Lacs switch a few years later.

Blackswan73

Handheld scanners you might look at include Uniden 436, 325p2, Whistler 1080,1088,TRX1. The Home Patrol 2, while not technically a handheld, is battery operated and small enough to fit in a coat pocket, or belt holster

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
If you wanted to you could get a base scanner and then provide a feed for Mile Lacs County. Then you could listen with your phone.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I concur that the easiest/least frustration scanners will be the Home Patrol models. Then the x36 line.

There is a little bit of work involved, such as updating the database to the latest and updating firmware, but it is minimal.

The Minnesota statewide system is complex and programming it is not for the faint-hearted...

BruceMN

I agree today's digital scanner are difficult to program by hand, I had no issues programming the GRE-PSR600 scanner using WIN 500 software and the Radio Reference database It would have been a daunting task to program manually. I could not have programmed the scanner successfully without the software. There are several software companies supplying to the scanner manufacturers. Those scanners that have scanning by zip code as an option is the best way to go for most people unfamiliar with scanners. I have never tried one of those scanners so I don't know how successful that type of scanner is in receiving public safety in specific areas.

Bruce
N0JX

SCPD

QRT
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.. now time for me to do my homework and read reviews and watch videos on which one I think will work best for me (the easiest in other words lol)

Appreciate the replies! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I decide which one I'm going to buy and learning more as I go ;)

SCPD

QRT
Update.. Made my decision and purchase.. Should have my new scanner Monday March 19th and pretty excited!
Really liked the Home Patrol 2 for ease of use, but didn't like the fact of having to pay for updates, etc.
vs. Whistler TRX1 seems like easy enough programming, free updates, etc.. and NXDN capabilities if needed.
All the others seemed a bit too much for me being a beginner and really want to learn as much as i can on my own (it's a pride thing I think lol)
So, crossing my fingers this works out for me.. If not.. I'll keep on searching, buying and trying.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.. I'm sure I'll need more in the future! Just a beware and heads up ;)

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
The Uniden scanners also have free updates I am not sure where you saw that they didn’t. The only thing that was paid was to add DMR and ProVoice.

I hope you enjoy whichever scanner you decided on. Every scanner has its pros and cons though.

blue5011

I am sure there is someone here who would have emailed you a Freescan file for you to import into your 996P2. If you were to purchase a 996P2 again, I would even send you file to modify, as that is how I got mine going. Yes, this ARMER digital trunking/ scanning has a learning curve.

I would advise against buying a Home Patrol unit, especially since you thought a 996P2 was confusing... I have two others in my area that have asked my help in "programming" the HP1 & 2.

The thing w/ HP and the Sentinel programming is you must "click" on about three different talkgroups in order to hear my local city and county dispatch, and when you select VHF channels it throws in all sorts of VHF that are seldom used (RR, old city, county, EMS).

When I tried working w/ the Sentinel programming -- I finally just walked away -- too frustrating.

I am very pleased w/ my three 996XT's and 396XT handheld.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
HP series are much easier for most people to program than the other models, once you get used to the interface.

blue5011

HP series are much easier for most people to program than the other models, once you get used to the interface.

Much like I told you in the 885 forum a couple of months ago, you have no idea what the issues are here w/ the MN ARMER system and how the HP1 & 2 Sentinel programming locates talkgroups.

If it was so easy, I would not have local scanner enthusiasts asking me for help...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I have every idea of how talk groups are located on that system and how the scanner handles it. But, for most people the HP series are much easier to program than any other model.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Much like I told you in the 885 forum a couple of months ago, you have no idea what the issues are here w/ the MN ARMER system and how the HP1 & 2 Sentinel programming locates talkgroups.

If it was so easy, I would not have local scanner enthusiasts asking me for help...

The HP1 &2 are the simplest on the market period. I have recommended them to several people and I have only had one ask me for assistance and that was just for setting up GPS.

Much of the issue with ARMER is the lack of submissions for clearing out unused conventional channels.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
...how the HP1 & 2 Sentinel programming locates talkgroups.
They locate talkgroups exactly as they are located in RadioReference database. If you have a suggestion for reorganization that would make locating and identifying channels in RadioReference, you should submit that to this site. I'm sure every user (regardless of scanner) would benefit from any change that makes finding things easier.

stmills

The HP1&2 May be great scanners but the dependence on a crowd sourced website can be an issue. The ARMER database in RR is missing over 1/3 of the active ARMER Talkgroups, and the Metro area is a mess with public works and school Talkgroups listed as public Safety. Those who relied on a scanner loaded by the RR database missed out on active Public Safety Talkgroups during the Super Bowl because they were deleted from the DB as inactive. Many of the most reliable sources for Talkgroups were long ago driven away by db admins.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
They are no more dependent on the database here than any other scanner. You can completely program from scratch, if you so desire, and completely ignore the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.