Branson MOSWIN Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I am visiting Branson this weekend. I have 6 different counties/sites of MOSWIN control channels programmed in my 396xt. The two closest sites are Taney and Stone Counties. The other four are the closest surrounding counties with a MOSWIN site in them. My problem is, I am only picking up one site. Site 104 for Taney Co. Even up on top of a hill on 76 Country Highway, with a view for miles, and using my VHF car antenna I get nothing but site 104. I can't even get Stone County though we are just miles from the border. Does anyone else have this issue when they visit or if you live in the area year round?

Outside of site 104 Taney Co I have the following

Stone Co Site 111
Lawrence Co Site 105
Barry Co Site 106
Ozark Co Site 322
Douglas Co Site 320

Any ideas?

Thanks.

frazpo

I monitor this system on a daily basis from the Joplin, Newton sites. I hear dispatch and troopers from all throughout the SW Missouri area. I do hear troopers mentioning poor coverage in that area.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I have checked the RR database for a 700 site but did not find one. I thought I had read that the area near Branson had a new 700 site. Guess not.

I understand the possibility of poor coverage because of many hills in the Ozark region but I can't even pick up Stone Co. which is within sight from Branson. Maybe I can put in all the listed freqs instead of just the CC's. Maybe Stone Co has a new CC.

I am picking up MSHP and Taney Co Sheriff very well on the one site here in Taney Co. Just thought it would be better.

Still trying.

kcbw

Try the new Hollister site 171

769.16875 Control, 769.41875 Alt, 769.66875, 769.91875, 770.16875, 770.41875

nd5y

I have checked the RR database for a 700 site but did not find one.
Apparently there are several new 700 MHz sites that aren't in the db and they won't be unless people find them and submit the information.

As a general rule what is in the rr database is just the tip of a big iceberg. There is a lot missing from it in most places.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Did a little driving and monitoring of the sites I have in the scanner and found the following. It also helps if you know a little about the main road structure on the main drag in Branson.

Driving about two miles to the west on 76 Highway towards Inspiration Tower I was able to get sites 320 (Douglas Co) and 322 (Ozark Co) off and on but not constantly. For a brief moment, maybe 45 seconds, I got the control channel for site 111 (Stone Co) and that was it. Even though we just entered Stone Co near Silver Dollar City there was no receivable signal. We drove down Indian Point Rd all the way to the lake and by the time we got there the only site receivable was Taney Co (104) with about 3 bars.

Interestingly, I did have the 700MHz site for Hollister already programmed but there wasn't even a peep out of that site. Nothing, nada, zilch. Even though Hollister is just a couple miles from Branson (if that). Not sure if that site is active. I am going to recheck the database but I am not sure it has been added yet.

Thanks for the help and ideas. If there are any more send them in. I will say that the signals I get from the Taney Co site are strong and reception is very good.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I will try to keep this short. Did a day trip up to Nixa and found that the MOSWIN site reception was pretty much the same up Hwy 65. Did pick up Greene Co 700 the closer I got to Nixa.

The only reliable site in Branson is Site 104. All others nearby, or reported nearby, is a crapshoot.

I guess it is still a work in progress.

Thanks for all the help. But if you have more ideas send them this way.

bdalton26

Premium Subscriber
I was in Branson today using the latest RR updates on a BCD436HP with roof mount antenna and I get *nothing* from Branson city, Taney county nor any small towns in the county. Not even TC Amb, or any fire depts. Something is not right. I can still pick up Stone & Christian counties while there though.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
There is quite a bit of VHF traffic down there. But the recption of that is odd because the transmitters seem like they are 50miles away even though they are supposed to be for the initial area. Branson PD and FD are on UHF. They are pretty clear. Recheck the 104 site. The signal is pretty clear throught the Branson area. Good luck.

sbcscann

Terry
What do you guys mean when you use the word site 104 ...Stone County in Taney County ambulance I still pick up on they're old analog frequency

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
The last time I was down to Branson the only MOSWIN I could pick up was Taney Co.
There was however quite a bit of analog activity on vhf hi and uhf for Branson, mostly PD, Fire, and EMS.

sbcscann

Terry
i just wish i can pickup taney co. must have wrong freq ...I used to pickup the old analog freq.. I would think i can scan more then one digital freq at one time...stone county i can pick up fine there audio is kind of low though ... Everything in barry county i can pick up fine including hwy patrol...don't know why i can't receive any other digital channels

frazpo

i just wish i can pickup taney co. must have wrong freq ...I used to pickup the old analog freq.. I would think i can scan more then one digital freq at one time...stone county i can pick up fine there audio is kind of low though ... Everything in barry county i can pick up fine including hwy patrol...don't know why i can't receive any other digital channels

What scanner are you using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ensnared

Simulcast

i just have a digital trucking pro 652 I thought it was good enough for a beginner

I monitored that area with a PSR 500, the older GRE version of your radio. The radio system you are attempting to monitor can be very tricky. Linear Simulcast Distortion murders that radio in some cases. I know my PSR 500 was experiencing a nervous breakdown attempting to decide which signal to use here in Waco; therefore, I bought a Uniden 456HP & things improved a great deal.

There is an easier to read guide associated with you radio with specific ways you can adjust the thresholds to slightly improve reception,but that is a very tedious system to monitor unless you are very familiar with the layout of things.

talkpair

Keep in mind that monitoring a talk group on a particular site requires at least one system user be affiliated with that same site on the same talk group.

As more sites are added, the chances of any talk group being active on any particular site 100% of the time is reduced, particularly in rural areas where manpower is stretched thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.