Garbled audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbjr

I got a report about this and can't seem to get it fixed. I've moved the antenna, location of the scanner and nothing changes. Any idea where to start?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I downloaded an MP3 of your feed audio and looked at the waveform ... it looks like your volume level is waaaaaaaaaaaay too loud; the audio input on the computer is getting way too much signal. Try turning down the volume on the scanner by half and see if the audio intelligibility improves. If you are using a microphone input on your feed computer, try moving the input signal to a line-level input, too ... computer microphone inputs are extremely sensitive and hard to get adjusted right (been there, done that).

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I downloaded an MP3 of your feed audio and looked at the waveform ... it looks like your volume level is waaaaaaaaaaaay too loud. Try turning down the volume by half and see if the audio intelligibility improves. If you are using a microphone input on your feed computer, try moving the input signal to a line-level input, too ... microphone inputs are extremely sensitive and hard to get adjusted right.

2nd on the volume. Can't understand anything with how loud the audio is.

The distortion issue is probably simulcast distortion for Bibb County. The wiki page has some suggestions on how you might be able to mitigate the problem, but unfortunately there is no guaranteed solution outside of completely replacing your feed radio.

mjbjr

Ok thanks. I've reduced the volume. But didn't help. This mean the radio is dying?

troymail

Silent Key
Ok thanks. I've reduced the volume. But didn't help. This mean the radio is dying?

Yup - still sounds a bit loud and sometimes broken (probably two different issues) but I just heard a pretty good/clear transmission also...slightly loud but clear.

I assume you are feeding it into a port on your PC... maybe check and reduce the input level of that port (or mic).

Is this the system?
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7928

or this one:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7748

Curious - the Sheriff talkgroup is labeled Deprecated (actually there are very few talkgroups listed and more as "Deprecated" than other type(s). Which talkgroup (ID) are you feeding?

See the link Spitfire referenced above: Simulcast Distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

mjbjr

Yup - still sounds a bit loud and sometimes broken (probably two different issues) but I just heard a pretty good/clear transmission also...slightly loud but clear.

I assume you are feeding it into a port on your PC... maybe check and reduce the input level of that port (or mic).

Is this the system?
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7928

or this one:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7748

Curious - the Sheriff talkgroup is labeled Deprecated (actually there are very few talkgroups listed and more as "Deprecated" than other type(s). Which talkgroup (ID) are you feeding?

See the link Spitfire referenced above: Simulcast Distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
Actually I'm not sure. I had some issues a while back and couldn't get some frequencies to work. So it wouldn't shock me if I have them all listed. I'll have to check for sure when I get back home.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider

Yep, that was going to be my next question. If it's the mic input, switch it to the line input. I'd also suggest that if you're running Windows on your feed PC, download and install this meter to see what kind of audio signal strength you're getting:

Audio Level Meter

I wouldn't let it peak in the red (-4db to 0db) ...

mjbjr

Ok i downloaded the meter and have it running all the time (Its a dedicated computer to the scanner). Also turned down the volume a great bit on the computer and scanner. Now it seems to be working better. As of 322 pm est that is.

mjbjr

I'll get one ordered next week. Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate your help and your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.