ARC75 software issues with BC72XLT scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWygant

I bought the fully-licensed version of the ARC75 software for use with my Uniden BC72XLT from ScannerMaster and bought the USB-1 cable from Bearcat Warehouse. I have downloaded and installed all of the latest drivers and have all of the most-current software versions. My Windows Device Manager recognizes the cable and says that it's working properly. My software will not recognize the scanner. Tech help requests from ScannerMaster only result in snarky and unhelpful responses. Bearcat Warehouse's business hours don't allow me to contact them directly as they close before I get home from work. An error on ScannerMaster's website made me think I'd bought the wrong cable so I bought the cable that was supposed to be compatible with my scanner (per their inventory listing) and it doesn't even fit the data port. I'm not spending any more money. What I've spent on software and cables so far is close to what the scanner cost.

I've run the cable diagnostics program from Prolific and have the proper chipset to be compatible with Windows 10.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to go from here?

kd7ckq

If you made a typo and really meant BC75XLT. Then the BC75XLT does not use the USB-1 cable. It should have came with a USB PC cable.
There should be a driver to download.
Go to here to Get Driver
Follow directions closely.

TWygant

Well that certainly explains a lot! I definitely have a BC72XLT scanner and have been trying to get it to work with the ARC75 software. Is there a such a thing as ARC72 software? I've not been able to track that down.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BC72XLT doesn't even have a PC interface or any place to plug one in (only DC power jack and headphone jack).

TWygant

I know that the scanner is programmable through the DC port, as I've watched as frequencies were downloaded to the scanner at both NASCAR and NHRA events, but I've decided to buy a new scanner with a railfan package, as that's what I want to use it for right now. I'll just keep the "72" for races.

Thanks for reviewing my idiotic posts. I guess I really had this coming.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmm. I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't a BC72XLT you saw. Several of our scanners had that same shape, and at least two of them are programmable from a PC. We've never made one that used a DC jack for programming (not including USB as a DC jack...all the models w/USB are PC programmable). Do appreciate your continued business. :) Just don't want a later reader to be confused.

TWygant

Here's my scanner with its original box. Racing Electronics (the folks I bought it from) have regularly connected a cable to the power jack and uploaded fresh programming. As I said, I've had this scanner at Indy, NHRA, and NASCAR events and always take it back to the RE trailer for reprogramming. That's why I was certain I should be able to batch program it, too.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 96

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I bought the fully-licensed version of the ARC75 software for use with my Uniden BC72XLT from ScannerMaster and bought the USB-1 cable from Bearcat Warehouse. I have downloaded and installed all of the latest drivers and have all of the most-current software versions. My Windows Device Manager recognizes the cable and says that it's working properly. My software will not recognize the scanner. ?

How were you attempting to get the software to recognize the scanner using the USB-1 cable?

There is no port on the BC72XLT to connect that cable to!

Here's my scanner with its original box. Racing Electronics (the folks I bought it from) have regularly connected a cable to the power jack and uploaded fresh programming. As I said, I've had this scanner at Indy, NHRA, and NASCAR events and always take it back to the RE trailer for reprogramming. That's why I was certain I should be able to batch program it, too.

Are you sure they weren't just connecting your scanner to external power to avoid running down the batteries while they manually programmed it?

TWygant

43 NASCAR teams times 2 frequencies each (just as an example). No. They hooked it up to a laptop PC and I had my scanner back within 2 to 3 minutes. I've had this scanner at multiple races and typically have it programmed before each one to ensure I have the most-current teams.

TWygant

I just took it out again to look more closely at it, and mule1075 has it right. On the factory label it shows the scanner to be an SC230 scanner that came in a BC72XLT box. Here's a picture of the data port that apparently doesn't exist on a BC72XLT scanner.

Attachments

• Data port.jpg
    Data port.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 77

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
43 NASCAR teams times 2 frequencies each (just as an example). No. They hooked it up to a laptop PC and I had my scanner back within 2 to 3 minutes. I've had this scanner at multiple races and typically have it programmed before each one to ensure I have the most-current teams.

As has been mentioned, the BC72XLT is not able to connect to a computer for programming or cloning.

Look inside the battery compartment for any kind of a label with a model number on it.

==============

.EDIT ---> I see you found it was not a BC72XLT.

TWygant

Thanks everyone. I know y'all think I'm some sort of idiot, but I positively knew my scanner was remotely programmable. Thanks for the all replies, too. The bright spot to all of this is now knowing that I have a scanner that appears to be more than I paid for. The dark spot is that I still can't get my computer to even recognize it's there when I hook it up. Time to look for SC230 drivers...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There are no drivers needed for the scanner. It is RS232 Serial (every PC comes able to communicate w/RS232 serial...assuming they have a serial port).

If you are using a USB to RS232 adapter, you need drivers for that adapter.

TWygant

Will the USB-1 cable work with the SC230? If, so, what other drivers or software do I need to make it communicate with the computer? That's been my biggest issue all along. Thanks again!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes. (If it is an old USB-1, there might not be drivers for it for current operating systems. It uses the Prolific PL2303 chipset. We changed chipset version several years ago as Prolific stopped supporting older versions that had been widely pirated.)

Status
Not open for further replies.