• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 Random Reception Dropouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewAddict

Hi All,

Had my G4 a couple of weeks now and on occasion (seems to be more frequent lately) it will lose signal reception after a transmission is received. I can hear the entire transmission and then the signal meter drops to nothing. During this time I miss any radio traffic until the signal pops up again. I can hear the missed traffic on my other scanner so I know it's losing signal and not just a display issue.

I am monitoring the Michigan P25 system, Phase 1, simulcast sites when this happens. I am not using monitor mode at all either...no wildcards in my programming. Any ideas what is happening? I really like the G4 but this issue is getting annoying.

I'd like to reflash the firmware..maybe that will fix it?

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the Michigan specific firmware

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

DewAddict

Do you have the Michigan specific firmware

Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

I was not aware that a special firmware existed for Michigan. I am using the regular firmware V0.93-0.17K-R02.

Thanks for the reply.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Yes check with your vendor Michigan is a separate FW

Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Your positive you have missed traffic while this is happening.

I ask because what i have noticed on my 2 G4 units is the signal indicator follows the CC when there is no voice activity, then when there is voice it seems to show the signal of the voice path. When the person stops talking theres a slight pause, signal goes down and back up. So im guessing its going back to CC. The reason why i think the signal bars are following the talk path is i see a pattern of signal bars fluctuate at the end of each transmission. Ill also note this is when im monitoring a system where i may be on the edge of reception. If im close to a tower or have excellent reception i never notice the bars drop out.
Unlike Uniden scanners, my BK KNG2-P800 and APX which all show the signal indicator of the CC only and not the voice channels.
At least that is what it appears to be doing. But i have not missed any traffic due to that.

Last edited:

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
Based on my observation, I've noticed my G5 dropping signal when I'm scanning more than one talkgroup that is active and the radio is switching back and forth between the talkgroups frequently. This seems to occur on any system I've tried that's busy. If I'm only scanning one talkgroup or if only one talkgroup is active in the scan list I've selected, it doesn't seem to do this. I've used the G5 next to other radios and can confirm that it is missing transmissions when the signal drops. When this does occur the signal drop usually lasts about 5 seconds or so and then comes back. I honestly think that not having a scan delay is probably contributing to this because the radio is constantly switching between active talkgroups in between conversations and it probably overloads the processor enough to drop signal.

cpetraglia

This was happening to my G4 awhile back and seemed to coincide with one of the recent firmware updates. I have the latest FW installed now (R02) and it is no longer doing it. I also listen to a very busy system.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
This was happening to my G4 awhile back and seemed to coincide with one of the recent firmware updates. I have the latest FW installed now (R02) and it is no longer doing it. I also listen to a very busy system.
That's interesting I also have the current firmware. I can't think of any setting that I could've changed that would cause this. I pretty much left most settings at default.

DewAddict

I am positive I was missing traffic as I could hear it come through on the 436 scanner on the same talkgroup that the G4 had dropped. The dealer that supplied my pager sent me an older firmware that was labeled for Michigan. It is the firmware ending in R11P. I have flashed the G4 and can report that it no longer drops out at all. I've been listening for several hours now. The PPS is also an older version and is missing some features but they are not any I would use.

I am monitoring a very busy multi-talkgroup system and what JSsignal16 states seems like it could be the problem. A scan delay options would be great.

Thanks for the help all. Problem solved.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I am positive I was missing traffic as I could hear it come through on the 436 scanner on the same talkgroup that the G4 had dropped. The dealer that supplied my pager sent me an older firmware that was labeled for Michigan. It is the firmware ending in R11P. I have flashed the G4 and can report that it no longer drops out at all. I've been listening for several hours now. The PPS is also an older version and is missing some features but they are not any I would use.

I am monitoring a very busy multi-talkgroup system and what JSsignal16 states seems like it could be the problem. A scan delay options would be great.

Thanks for the help all. Problem solved.

I thought I read a few threads when the last firmware came out That people were having this issue, some fixed it by reflashing the firmware, others are waiting for the next firmware to hopefully fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Is the site on the Michigan system your monitoring busy?
I ask because of the couple systems i monitor, and noticed the signal go up and down as i mentioned in an earlier thread, that system is much busier then the other one i monitor which has no signal fluctuation.

DewAddict

Is the site on the Michigan system your monitoring busy?
I ask because of the couple systems i monitor, and noticed the signal go up and down as i mentioned in an earlier thread, that system is much busier then the other one i monitor which has no signal fluctuation.

Very busy. I'm monitoring several municipalities at the same time since they all use the same tower site.
My signal does also bounce around but that's different than what was happening to me with the dropout. With the dropout, ALL of the signal bars would drop and the lightning bolt would disappear for at least 5 seconds. I live right under a tower so normally I have 3-4 bars and never any out of range indications. Even when it dropped out, it would not show the out of range indication, it would just drop out.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Very busy. I'm monitoring several municipalities at the same time since they all use the same tower site.

My signal does also bounce around but that's different than what was happening to me with the dropout. With the dropout, ALL of the signal bars would drop and the lightning bolt would disappear for at least 5 seconds. I live right under a tower so normally I have 3-4 bars and never any out of range indications. Even when it dropped out, it would not show the out of range indication, it would just drop out.

Did u have the last firmware and if so did u have the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DewAddict

My G4 came with the lastest firmware and was causing the issue for me. The R11P rollback has still been flawless for me and still no dropouts.

DewAddict

I don’t have any interest in the phase 2 update so I’m hoping they release a regular firmware update in addition to the phase 2 update. I know many of you have been waiting a long time for phase 2. The Michigan system is phase 1 and if/when they decide to go to phase 2, it will be years before the upgrade is completed. Still going strong without any dropouts since I flashed it. Makes me wonder what hanged in the latest firmware that is causing the bug. Hopefully Unication Dave is at least reading our posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.