Another exploding package in Austin, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Over the past two weeks, there have been three explosions from unexpected & unidentified packages left on the porches of Austin residents. Two people have been killed, a third seriously injured. These are unexpected packages left in porches by person or persons unknown. Apparently, they are not being delivered by a normal delivery service (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc). It's also been said that there is a motion sensor, and the packages have exploded when picked up by the resident from their porch.

Tonight, there has been a fourth incident. Two people injured, severity unknown at this time, have been taken to a hospital.

wfaa.com | Officials responding to explosion in SW Austin, urge residents to stay inside

http://wapo.st/2DCpPhz?tid=ss_mail&utm_term=.6523dec71523

kvue.com | LIVE: Officials responding to reports of explosion in SW Austin, urge residents to stay indoors

ATCEMS responding to unconfirmed reports of two explosions - Story | KDFW

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
What are Austin people hearing the most traffic - right now on this? Is anyone listening in on Fed Frequencies? I listened some last night of the GATTRS System but did not hear anything about 3 hours after bombing. Are they using Fed Freqs on another system? With HP-2 was listening to preset Fed Agencies and did not hear much.

Would love to listen as things continue as being in a satellite city want to keep on top of this.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
I know a lot of the Feds in Austin mirror the San Antonio frequencies. And majority of it is encrypted and they very rarely let locals use their radios. Most of the time they have access to local systems for operations. I would think when they were searching that large neighborhood they would be using some interop channels or the APD Law channels which they can patch to other agencies. Another thing is that sometimes on bomb calls police won't use their radios in the immediate area, especially if they think there is another device somewhere( I don't know if this is APD policy but a lot of agencies still do this.) Can you pick up the primary simulcast site in Round Rock? I know that when I was in Round Rock awhile back I couldn't pick it up very well, and APD seemed to be hit or miss on the Williamson County site.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I know a lot of the Feds in Austin mirror the San Antonio frequencies. And majority of it is encrypted and they very rarely let locals use their radios. Most of the time they have access to local systems for operations. I would think when they were searching that large neighborhood they would be using some interop channels or the APD Law channels which they can patch to other agencies. Another thing is that sometimes on bomb calls police won't use their radios in the immediate area, especially if they think there is another device somewhere( I don't know if this is APD policy but a lot of agencies still do this.) Can you pick up the primary simulcast site in Round Rock? I know that when I was in Round Rock awhile back I couldn't pick it up very well, and APD seemed to be hit or miss on the Williamson County site.

Typically in Williamson county the average scanner can monitor Austin's County-Wide or East 620 simulcast subs better than the Williamson county sub due to LSM distortion. Also, some Austin talk groups won't be carried Williamson county.

I also would imagine there are some talkgroups that aren't accounted for in the database that could be hiding some of the "event" traffic.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
NC5267- Yes I agree reception is limited off that Simulcast Tower - not using the Round Rock tower. But also using my G4 Unication which is crystal clear on the Austin system.

Tonight I think I will do some deeper scanning and searching.
So both of you are thinking instead of the nation ATF P25 channels they may be working off GATTRS unused or undocumented Talk Groups?

Thanks...will let you know if I find anything interesting tonight.

Scanning with G4 and HP2.

mbelvin

Last night the scene traffic stayed on "David" channel and the David sector troops went to Crit1 to continue the normal patrols. This was at the request of the EOD Sgt and Lt,
In the past the scene traffic shifted to Crit1 or Crit2 and the normal sector traffic continued on as usual.
Today they are working follow up on Crit1. Not much traffic just units talking to each other.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Last night the scene traffic stayed on "David" channel and the David sector troops went to Crit1 to continue the normal patrols. This was at the request of the EOD Sgt and Lt,
In the past the scene traffic shifted to Crit1 or Crit2 and the normal sector traffic continued on as usual.
Today they are working follow up on Crit1. Not much traffic just units talking to each other.

Just checked my TRX-2's recordings and Crit 1 seems to be where the was in the area. Some recordings are referencing Republic of Texas.

RVACS, I am picking up County Wide (Simulcast 1) quite well in the Brushy Creek/Cedar Park area.

Dark_Side

Schertz Texas FedEx (See News)

158.4100 151.4
Some sort of EOC

165.9125 NAC 650
A T F

F B I (Full ENC)

216.6200 WFM
Satcom Phone Linking

Michael-SATX

Bomb Exploded at FedEx Ground Operations Schertz,TX !

This appears to be the 5th bombing in a string of 4 previous events that have occured in Austin, Texas.

At appox 12:26am Tuesday a Package Nail Type Bomb Exploded at the FedEx Ground Operations
facility located in Schertz,TX ! This is a 206,000 sq ft design-build hard-wall warehouse facility that
serves as a package distribution facility for FedEx Ground Operations, located in Schertz,Texas.
This Service Center includes office space to house support and operations personnel, as well as
warehouse space to handle the sorting and delivery of packages. A female worker was injured via
a concussion by the bomb blast. The package was reported as destined for an address in Austin.
The package was traveling down a conveyor belt that had a drop down jolt that caused it to explode.

The RR user Dark_Side gets the credit for breaking this story as he has proven keen ear to gleen info..
DS was monitoring the LCRA P25 TRS and he heard a guy talk about a bomb on the Schertz Citywide 1
This system: Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) P25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
This system is streamed and there are captured archived recordings for those who want to review comms.
This is the talkgroup number 12092 Schertz Citywide 1 which is a Multi-Tac categorized talkgroup.
DS and Ken the independent media guy were the first to arrive on scene at approximately 12:50am.
At 3:13am WOAI TV4 arrived in a white Ford Expedition and later KENS TV5 in a big blue van.
It's now 4:15 and the KSAT TV12 news van has arrived. The media knows this will be drawn out.

On the LCRA P25 TRS the patch TG # 65322 had comms regarding the perimeter security as they are
heard calling ahead who is being allowed on scene such as the ATF, FBI, SAPD Bomb Squad groups.
Reports heard of agencies assisting up in Austin being sent directly down here to help this investigation.
I suggested they drive home via Wetmore Rd to see if the FedEx Air freight terminal has any LE action?
The K-9 dogs team have completed their onscene sweep of the facility and found nothing suspicious.

RR user Dark_Side reports onscene comms found signal stalked and service searched were the following:

216.6200 WFM perhaps Federal SAT UPLINK that was just heard ringing no answer - they tried like 3 times.
165.9125 NAC 650 ATF
158.4100 PL 151.4 EOC related type comms
167.2125 NAC 167 FBI Simplex (Encrypted)

https://www.ksat.com/news/1-injured...edex-ground-facility-in-schertz-officials-say

kens5.com | One hurt in explosion at FedEx Ground facility in Schertz

Texas explosions: FBI investigating new blast at FedEx plant - BBC News

Last edited:

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Good Job Dark_Side - was scanning till about 11:30pm last night including LCRA / GATTRS in my searching but obviously I missed this due to the time.

Thanks for share of Freq. findings.

Dark_Side

Citywide 1
traffic coordination

Traffic includes

Federal agency's
ATF FBI Homeland Security

All News media networks are
KSAT-12/KENS-5/ WOAI-4
Univision-41/CNN and many more

Status
Not open for further replies.