Icom IC- R8600 Matching speaker SP-41

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOR-262

Is this Speaker SP-41 all it makes out to be?

I currently use an AOR 8600 Mk2 and my external speaker is a speaker from a hands-free car kit. The speaker is a Nokia HFS-12 (see picture attached). I get perfect audio from this HFS-12.

I will shortly be getting an Icom IC-R8600 and have considered the optional external speakers. Currently, Icom are offering the Icom SP-23, SP-39 and now this SP-41. After doing some research, I am dubious about buying any of the Icom matching external speakers because I'm getting to realize these speakers are just standard 8 ohm speakers inside with a few tweaks and features.

I'm thinking this bog-standard Nokia HFS-12 speaker will give just a good/clear audio as any of these Icom SP range speakers??

Attachments

• HFS-12.jpg
    HFS-12.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 459

Ubbe

Just because a HF receiver is expensive they think they can set ridiculous prices for an esteticly matching speaker. $300 retail price for a speaker? If you read the user reviews you know that some people are not satisfied with the sound from these HF rig speakers and get better audio from other $50 solutions. You only buy these kind of expensive speakers as they look good next to the rig.

If you listen to voice from utility stations, mil air and such all you need is a $20 Nokia kind of speaker and if you listen to AM broadcast stations you can use a full audio range $50 PC speaker set.

/Ubbe

AOR-262

I don't know what all the fuss is about? The sound I get from my IC-R8600 is great as it is. Why the need for an external speaker -- and look at the price for the matching speaker, around $350 USD (what???) I think it must be something to have 'just to look cool'.

Status
Not open for further replies.