• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

System Key and Trunking 'Issue'

Status
Not open for further replies.

laythrom

Premium Subscriber
Okay...couple things first, 1. if this is in the wrong area, I apologize; feel free to move it to where it should be. 2. I am not sure if the topic/question is taboo, if so, I apologize and please don't kneecap me.

Basically, long story short...I have a friend in Alabama (firefighter) that sent me his XTS3000 800MHz (III) to have the scan list modified to his liking. That task was taken care of and radio was sent back, USPS dropped the box off on the porch and it was stolen (which is my fault for not thinking about listing the package as signature required, but I digress). Because of this, I ended up purchasing another XTS3000 800MHz (II) to replace his radio that was stolen and now I am having some issues.

My original hope of pushing the saved code plug to the radio is moot because the serial numbers obviously do not match and get an error window reminding me of this. In addition, exporting the "Trunking" information and attempting to import it into the new radio file kind of works, but the biggest issue of all is the System ID, Network ID information and Individual ID information. I have all of this information from his previous (and now stolen) radio but I am unable to change the new CPS information to correspond to the original data.

Is this a lost cause or should/can I lobby the system admin (in AL) for the key file so that I can program everything the way it was? Do I say screw it, program everything else the way that it was and have him get the ID information programmed down there? Or is there a way to push the original radio file that I saved to the new radio?

Basically, I'm just looking for information to try and get this problem unhosed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

clbsquared

I would replace his radio and let HIM take it to the system admin and explain what happened. The likelihood of them giving you a system key is slim to none, regardless of the situation. Replace the radio, apologize and step aside. In my opinion, that's your safest bet. You've already been tampering with a radio that was most likely owned by the agency it was programmed by. Hopefully it's a good enough friend to not place the blame solely on you. After all, he's the one that lost possession of the radio.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

laythrom

Premium Subscriber
I would replace his radio and let HIM take it to the system admin and explain what happened. The likelihood of them giving you a system key is slim to none, regardless of the situation. Replace the radio, apologize and step aside. In my opinion, that's your safest bet. You've already been tampering with a radio that was most likely owned by the agency it was programmed by.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

I understand where you're coming from and will probably go that route anyway. But just to clarify, he purchased the (original) radio as a back up (not owned by BHam or Jefferson County Public Services); he just didn't want to pay to have the replacement reprogrammed as well.

I do appreciate the reply.

clbsquared

Did he have permission to add another radio to the system? If so, then that possibly changes everything. Of not, it's a very slippery slope. Tread carefully.

laythrom

Premium Subscriber
Did he have permission to add another radio to the system? If so, then that possibly changes everything. Of not, it's a very slippery slope. Tread carefully.

Yes, he said that he did go through his required channels and was not exactly happy about it since it was a “pain in the [butt] and they (their admin shop) [f-ing] charged me $150 to do it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Yes, he said that he did go through his required channels and was not exactly happy about it since it was a “pain in the [butt] and they (their admin shop) [f-ing] charged me $150 to do it”.

Rule of thumb, unless the system owner has provided written permission to add radios to a system (and provided the system key) the system owner is the only one who can perform that part of the programming. Another thing to consider, does the XTS3000 replacement even have the same flash options as the radio that was stolen? Also, your friend needs to report the backup as stolen as it needs to be inhibited...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is this a lost cause or should/can I lobby the system admin (in AL) for the key file so that I can program everything the way it was?

As a system administrator (amongst other duties) I'd NEVER send my system key out to anyone. EVER.
Basically it's like sending a stranger a key to your home and hoping they won't do any harm while you are out of town. Not saying you would do that, but system keys are kept under control for a good reason.

I'll buy you a beer and eat my words if the system admin willingly sends you a copy of the system key.

If it's a SmartNet/SmartZone system, resist the urge to try and produce a counterfeit system key. That's the sort of stuff that gets people in legal trouble.

But just to clarify, he purchased the (original) radio as a back up (not owned by BHam or Jefferson County Public Services);

If he needed a backup, the department should have purchased him one and paid to have it programmed.

Your buddy has put both of you in a tight spot. Best to carefully back out and walk away. You did what he asked you to do. The radio getting stolen is not really your responsibility.

Someone also needs to let the system admin know that the radio was stolen so that ID can be disabled in the system. They won't want a radio floating around out there in the wrong hands. —make sure he does this— it's important.

he just didn't want to pay to have the replacement reprogrammed as well.

Sorry, but being a cheapskate doesn't change the way things work. If your buddy can afford a "backup radio" himself, he needs to cough up the dough to get it programmed by someone with a system key. I had my share of people bring me random radios off e-Bay and want me to put them on the system. Often they had the wrong flashcode. Sometimes they were even the wrong band.

laythrom

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. We’ve been talking with the shop in AL and I believe that we have a plan in place to get this rectified.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
As a system administrator (amongst other duties) I'd NEVER send my system key out to anyone. EVER.
Basically it's like sending a stranger a key to your home and hoping they won't do any harm while you are out of town. Not saying you would do that, but system keys are kept under control for a good reason.

I'm sure as a system administrator, you also know that you don't need to send a system key to anyone. There are instructions all over the weebs that talk about how to make one.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm sure as a system administrator, you also know that you don't need to send a system key to anyone. There are instructions all over the weebs that talk about how to make one.

Not for all trunked systems. There are other systems than Motorola…

And this is exactly why I said:

If it's a SmartNet/SmartZone system, resist the urge to try and produce a counterfeit system key. That's the sort of stuff that gets people in legal trouble.

kayn1n32008 is correct:

Not for a NXDN system...

I replaced my SmartNet system with a Kenwood NexEdge system in 2011. It requires a physical USB security key to program the radios, plus a skf. file that has the specifics on the system. I've taken it a step farther and require that the ESN for each and every radio be in the system matching the radio ID, or they won't connect (no TX, no RX), even if programmed with the system key.

Trunked system security is something that should be taken seriously. Unfortunately the "security" that Motorola sold many years ago was easily broken.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

Only for Motorola subscribers and only if the flash doesn’t require the use of an ASK.

Getting system keys for other manufacturers subscribers isn’t as easy as finding Motorola’s old key generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.