• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF Antenna Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am in the process of building a UHF Repeater. For this specific repeater I am not going to be using a Duplexer.

How much (or how little) horizontal separation can I get away with while limiting desense of the receiver? Obviously there are some variables to consider. Lets say the transmitter is running 30watts with a 3db gain omni directional antenna.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get a duplexer, even if you have to go with one of the cheap Chinese ones. If you separate the antennas enough to eliminate desense, the coax run will eat all the signal. You'd have to have the antennas several hundred feet apart to be effective.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am in the process of building a UHF Repeater. For this specific repeater I am not going to be using a Duplexer.

How much (or how little) horizontal separation can I get away with while limiting desense of the receiver? Obviously there are some variables to consider. Lets say the transmitter is running 30watts with a 3db gain omni directional antenna.

It is significantly easier to use vertical separation for in-band repeaters. Is there a particular reason that you do not want to use a duplexer?

As jonwienke says, it will take significant horizontal separation to get a 2 antenna set-up to work properly.

RFI-EMI-GUY

As said before, horizontal yields little isolation, however vertical seperation impacts coverage.

Invest in a decent duplexer.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

prcguy

At the minimum you probably need at least 60dB isolation and maybe more for reliable desense free operation. Its impossible to get that with antenna separation unless you can optimize height and patterns and find a freakish null while measuring antenna isolation with a spectrum analyzer. You would certainly have to supplement the antenna isolation with a transmit and receive band pass filter cavity.

A cheap mobile notch only duplexer will get you more than 60dB isolation and cost less than a pair of band pass cavities. Are there any other repeaters or UHF radios nearby? If so you would need band pass filtering or a Bp Br duplexer. If you are on the same tower as other repeaters you would also need an isolator.

Using a 3dB gain antenna on a repeater is a waste of a repeater unless you only need to cover a very small area. The antenna height along with the antenna gain is responsible for most of the repeater coverage.
prcguy

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
At the minimum you probably need at least 60dB isolation and maybe more for reliable desense free operation. Its impossible to get that with antenna separation unless you can optimize height and patterns and find a freakish null while measuring antenna isolation with a spectrum analyzer. You would certainly have to supplement the antenna isolation with a transmit and receive band pass filter cavity.

A cheap mobile notch only duplexer will get you more than 60dB isolation and cost less than a pair of band pass cavities. Are there any other repeaters or UHF radios nearby? If so you would need band pass filtering or a Bp Br duplexer. If you are on the same tower as other repeaters you would also need an isolator.

Using a 3dB gain antenna on a repeater is a waste of a repeater unless you only need to cover a very small area. The antenna height along with the antenna gain is responsible for most of the repeater coverage.
prcguy

I think I calculated around 64 dB of isolation would be needed (assuming the receiver has 90 dB of "adjacent" channel rejection 5 MHz away, -120 dBm receive sensitivity and 20W ERP). Still was looking at something like 84 meters of horizontal separation needed to make that up.

lmrtek

The more the better but 30 feet of vertical would likely be enough.
I was able to run a 75 watt repeater with -124db sensitivity with 50 feet between the station masters
It would take 20 times as much horizontal separation to get the same results

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Brandon, Get a REAL duplexer and antenna. Don't fool around like last time.

This is kind of a unique system I am considering putting together. I am just trying to explore all the options before I dive into the project.

Thanks for everyone's input and help. I will try and find a way to make it work with a duplexer.

Status
Not open for further replies.