NHFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadjammer

Listening to the gas leak emergency on George Street in New Haven today and after a while the New Haven FD switched to Channel 2 "Talk Around". After that I received nothing on Ch. 2. Anyone know what this "Talk Around" channel is? Is it digital? NHFD is still analog and I never heard them use this unknown (to me anyway) Talk Around channel. Thanks.

APX7500X2

Listening to the gas leak emergency on George Street in New Haven today and after a while the New Haven FD switched to Channel 2 "Talk Around". After that I received nothing on Ch. 2. Anyone know what this "Talk Around" channel is? Is it digital? NHFD is still analog and I never heard them use this unknown (to me anyway) Talk Around channel. Thanks.

Just like any other talk around, its the simplex side of the output of the repeater. Same channel and DPL for your scanner you just have to be within about a 1/2 mile or less sometimes.

fredva

Feed Provider
A "talkaround" channel is a way to "talk around", or bypass, a repeater. Often, this is accomplished by switching the radios to transmit and receive on the same frequency, which would normally be the output frequency of the repeater. Because they aren't transmitting on the repeater's input frequency, this bypasses the repeater. You may possibly have been listening to the correct frequency, but because the repeater wasn't amplifying the signal, you could no longer hear the units.

There are probably other ways to go into talkaround mode, and I'm not familiar with this particular system. But generally speaking, talkaround goes into short-range, simplex mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.