• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 battery swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
How often are people having the battery in a G4 swell?

I have had more than it seems should be normal.

Sent using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Li-ion battery swelling signals possible imminent catastrophic failure. Discharge the battery, remove it from the device, and store it somewhere that won't burn your house down if it catches fire. Have it disposed of as soon as possible.

If you charge the battery, the failure will be that much more energetic.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G4-G5 Battery swelling

Funny you mention this. Mine was (done) was charging, but only lasting 3 or 4 hours. Had it almost a year. So I ordered a new one from Ray's Pagers in PA. He said the NEW one was Lithium Ion instead of the Lithium Polymer one that came with my pager. So I put the old one in my drawer. A few days later I opened the drawer and the little black box around the battery swelled and broke open like someone had stepped on it and the white pack inside was visible. I quickly got my gloves and put it in a bag and took it to Battery & Bulbs along with a few old PC batteries to recycle and get rid of whatever they do with them. I'd say if your G4-G5 battery is charging really quick and releasing a lot faster? time for a new one, it's going to
swell up and break through the casing. ;0)

Last edited by a moderator:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Let me clarify my earlier post:

If ANY flavor of lithium battery starts swelling, it has a serious problem, and catastrophic failure is a distinct possibility. The greater the charge level of the battery, the more firey/explodey the catastrophic failure is likely to be.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
jonwienke is correct.
When LiOn batteries swell its due to a chemical break down internally and its releasing gasses. Once the process starts its going to keep going. The worse the battery swells the more likely it will come to a catastrophic exothermic failure and those are not good.
Had it happen to several iPhone batteries back when i worked on them.
I kept an unused paint can in my office and anytime i had batteries that swelled they would go into that for temp storage and about once a month i would recycle the batteries.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
If anyone experiences battery swell Please contact your dealer and submit an RMA we will replace it no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.