Maybe it is time for a change to the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Between the new scanners coming out, older scanners getting firmware upgrades.

This would allow a search function which lets you select the type of digital system you would like to see;

NXDN
P25
IDAS
Conventional
Etc.

Yes, I know it will be alot of work, but it appears RR DB is geared toward conventional and digital was a add on.

With Uniden doing paid upgrades, some wont want NXDN, Provoice, DMR, etc.
With Whistler doing free upgrades
Add in the older models that cant do digital.

I would ask Broadcastify to look hard at this.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Database Change

Between the new scanners coming out, older scanners getting firmware upgrades.

This would allow a search function which lets you select the type of digital system you would like to see;

NXDN
P25
IDAS
Conventional
Etc.

Yes, I know it will be alot of work, but it appears RR DB is geared toward conventional and digital was a add on.

With Uniden doing paid upgrades, some wont want NXDN, Provoice, DMR, etc.
With Whistler doing free upgrades
Add in the older models that cant do digital.

I would ask Broadcastify to look hard at this.

Excellent Idea

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Our DB is geared to show you EVERYTHING we have info on! What is this select what you see thing? Is it not enough that you can hide inputs on stuff? What you see in your scanner is up to YOU. Not us. That is all up to you and your choices in software etc. ALSO nope this site was BASED off of a trunking DB, www.trunkedradio.net was its origin. It then was expanded to cover pretty much everything.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Our DB is geared to show you EVERYTHING we have info on! What is this select what you see thing? Is it not enough that you can hide inputs on stuff? What you see in your scanner is up to YOU. Not us. That is all up to you and your choices in software etc. ALSO nope this site was BASED off of a trunking DB, trunkedradio.net was its origin. It then was expanded to cover pretty much everything.

Milf,

I was thinking to something similar to what is already in use on another part of the site.

When you go to a county and click on FCC Licenses, then select Display all FCC licenses in XXX County. You are able to toggle the options, Public safety, Business, mobile, etc.

Again, in that report the ability to toggle certain things on/off is very helpful.

YEAH, it is up to US, and if this ability was implemented we still could see EVERYTHING, or narrow down certain things or assist in finding certain modes and Freqs.

Hopefully this better explains what I was thinking.

Happy Easter

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can run such a list, now, that provides results across the entire database. At the bottom of the main database page, "Trunked System Reports" and "Conventional Radio Reports" let you list all known of a particular type.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Milf,

I was thinking to something similar to what is already in use on another part of the site.

When you go to a county and click on FCC Licenses, then select Display all FCC licenses in XXX County. You are able to toggle the options, Public safety, Business, mobile, etc.

Again, in that report the ability to toggle certain things on/off is very helpful.

YEAH, it is up to US, and if this ability was implemented we still could see EVERYTHING, or narrow down certain things or assist in finding certain modes and Freqs.

Hopefully this better explains what I was thinking.

Unfortunately this would require a lot of programming at the back end, and ultimately all you would get is frequencies and emission types a particular entity is licensed for, not what they're actually using. To add to the problem, some entities license multiple emission types to cover all their bases, but only use one of them. The RadioReference database is geared toward confirmed information rather than what's merely licensed and possibly not in use.

As others have noted, you can already run reports for the particular system type (DMR, NXDN, P25, etc) for both conventional or trunked, which will give you confirmed system usage. Or you can go to the county you wish to search and sort by type, which will group all of the systems by type rather than name, making it easier to find what you're looking for.

Last edited:

smason

Yes a filter would be nice, but sounds like a lot of work.
You could just download a .csv for the system in question, and filter in Excel.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
So an addendum to this that I’ve been thinking about. In addition to the system type, for those of us that are interested, why don’t we have a field that would NOT get downloaded to the scanner that says ‘Vendor’?

I for one like to know whether the locality has a Motorola or Harris p25 system. It would be easier to have it listed in the database so you can see it at a glance rather than going digging through press releases and old forums.

Some may disagree, but there is a distinct different sound to Harris vs. Motorola. Could we please get this implemented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kma371

QRT
So an addendum to this that I’ve been thinking about. In addition to the system type, for those of us that are interested, why don’t we have a field that would NOT get downloaded to the scanner that says ‘Vendor’?

I for one like to know whether the locality has a Motorola or Harris p25 system. It would be easier to have it listed in the database so you can see it at a glance rather than going digging through press releases and old forums.

Some may disagree, but there is a distinct different sound to Harris vs. Motorola. Could we please get this implemented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought you were able to tell by the WACN?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I thought you were able to tell by the WACN?

Yep, you can determine most vendors by using either the System ID or WACN.

System ID 00x, it's almost certainly a Harris system.

WACN BEE0x, it's almost certainly a Motorola system.

System doesn't match either pattern? It's probably one of the other vendors that aren't talked about as much, for example WACN 00001 tends to be EF Johnson.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
System IDs

Thank you for this information. I didn't know this and I'm not sure other people would know this either. Can someone put this in the wiki if it's not already? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.