NXDN Programming Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerjunkie

Ok just installed NXDN key in my 436HP and want to program some NXDN. i tried programming in a trunked system and it wont let me put in multiple frequencies. then it asks for a LCN number. how do i find this so called LCN number and how do i find and use the LCN finder? Is the system ID# and LCN# the same thing? any help would be great. thanks.

Voyager

LCN is the (Listed) Channel number.

Assuming there is no documented data for the system in question (which one is it? RR link?)

Program all the frequencies (not sure why it's only allowing one - check the system type you selected).
If you don't know the LCN, leave it blank for now (hit ENTER).

After all the frequencies are entered, select in the menu ANALYZE then LCN FINDER. Hit ENTER and scroll to the system and select it, and LCN Finder will start.

scannerjunkie

Ok so im now able to add multiple frequencies. i used the system ID as the LCN. i think they both are the same. set it up in a favorites file and assigned quick key. now im unable to find this system anywhere. will not appear if i scan every single favorite file. but i find it when i go to that favorites file and want to edit it. will not scan or be found?

Voyager

No. The System ID is not the same as the LCN. The LCN will be different for each frequency.

Make sure that Quick Key is enabled. To start with, even consider removing the Quick Key until you get it running.

Voyager

It's found 9 of the 17 LCNs.

Now one word of caution here: IF there are frequencies that are not used, it will never find the LCN for them. But, it should give you the option of saving what it has found when you exit the LCN finder.

Voyager

If you like, follow the same steps described above. If you run into a stumbling block, ask. SJ is almost there. You can do it, too.

ki6bu

Is there any good walk thru on manual programming, I'm totally lost, I'm a newbie on manual programming.

I tried to follow the above, I just don't get the concept on how this radio programs (BCD436HP) manually, I just program it with Sentinel.

Yes, I've searched, I've had this radio for a few years now and still don't understand it.
I use SDR# and DSD+, that makes total sense to me and can make it dance but this radio just confuses me.

I would like to program in the iDAS system for Phoenix-Gateway Airport in Arizona.

Voyager

Confirming we are talking about programming NXDN, right? If a different system type, please start a new thread and I'll help you there.

The starting steps are:

MENU
MANAGE FAVORITES
NEW FAVORITES LIST (or select an existing one to use)
(set the options - rename etc if you want)

Select REVIEW/EDIT SYSTEM
NEW SYSTEM
Select the system type you want: NXDN TRUNK for trunking systems, NXDN OneFrequency for single frequency trunks, or Conventional for conventional channels.

For conventional only, create a new Department, then within that new channel, then program teh frequency for that channel. Set the audio type as DIGITAL ONLY and set the RAN if known. Repeat for any additional channels.

For NXDN OneFrequency, select EDIT SITE, add a new site, then select SET FREQUENCIES and enter the frequency. After that, set ID SCAN to ON or select EDIT DEPARTMENT, NEW DEPARTMENT, NEW CHANNEL, then enter the Talkgroups you want to scan.

For NXDN TRUNK:
select EDIT SITE, add a new site, then select SET FREQUENCIES and enter the frequencies for each LCN. If you don't know the LCN, just hit ENTER for now on that field. Repeat until all the site frequencies are entered. After that, set ID SCAN to ON or select EDIT DEPARTMENT, NEW DEPARTMENT, NEW CHANNEL, then enter the Talkgroups you want to scan.

If you don't know the LCN, use LCN FINDER to find them as follows: (you will need to remember the System name you set above)
In the menu, select ANALYZE then LCN FINDER. Hit ENTER and scroll to the system and select it, then select the SITE and LCN Finder will start. when it's done, it will let you know and you can set all the found LCNs.

Now one word of caution here: IF there are frequencies that are not used, it will never find the LCN for them. But, it will give you the option of saving what it has found when you exit the LCN finder using FUNC-SYSTEM. It will ask if you want to save found LCNs. Select YES.

The above should get you running.

If you don't get all the LCNs, review what it HAS found. It might be obvious what the missing ones are. For example, if LCNs 1-5 are used except 3 and 4, and 1/2/5 are in descending order (or ascending), the pattern likely continues through 3 and 4. If it has found all except one, that one should be obvious. It's always possible they are using a frequency you don't have, but that is usually the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:

Voyager

So its been at 13/17 for awhile now. still looking. do i let it go or do i try to save whats its found so far? no option to save as of yet.

Your choice. If you know all frequencies are used, let it continue.

What are the options on the screen? (I don't recall the finder screen offhand)

I'm setting up a "new" system now. I'll let you know in a few minutes.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So its been at 13/17 for awhile now. still looking. do i let it go or do i try to save whats its found so far? no option to save as of yet.
<FUNC>+<System> will end the LCN Finder, and give you the option to save what it found so far.

A couple of the sites I created yesterday did not complete the LCN finder last night/early this morning. Probably not enough system activity for all of them to come up. Tried again during the day today, it completed.

Voyager

It will give you the option of saving what it has found when you exit the LCN finder using FUNC-SYSTEM. It will ask if you want to save found LCNs. Select YES.

Thanks, hiegtx. Found it after going through the motions myself. (one downside about knowing the local systems LCNs - not using LCN finder)

I edited the above post with additional info.

Last edited:

scannerjunkie

Ok i now have NXDN flowing out of my speaker. it sounds awesome. i was able to get 13 out of 17 during the scan. i will rescan at a later time to see if i can get all 17. Voyager thank you so very much. Upman and uniden. thank you both for all you do for the scanning hobby.

ki6bu

Yes, it is NXDN, it shows as NXDN Icom IDAS Type D

Thank you for the great post, that will get me going for sure.

Last edited:

Voyager

Yes, it is NXDN, it shows as NXDN Icom IDAS Type D

Thank you for the great post, that will get me going for sure.

OK. You want to use NXDN Trunk.

And you're very welcome. It's so mice to be able to have a thread devoid of all the hate.

BTW, NXDN is a 'generic' term that includes IDAS (iCom's implementation of NXDN) and NexEdge (Kenwood's implementation of NXDN). So if you see those terms anywhere, it's all NXDN.

icomuser

Premium Subscriber
NXDN only mode?

Is there a way to use "search", "discover", or "close call" modes on the 436 and only have hits on NXDN or on DMR for that matter? Getting a lot of conventional NFM when using those modes looking for NXDN.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to use "search", "discover", or "close call" modes on the 436 and only have hits on NXDN or on DMR for that matter? Getting a lot of conventional NFM when using those modes looking for NXDN.

None that I know of. Don't think it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.