FDNY using APX radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

masstech

It looks like the FDNY have the XE500 RSMs and APX 6000 non-XE model II UHF radios

4-crime

It looks like the FDNY have the XE500 RSMs and APX 6000 non-XE model II UHF radios

They are actually using the APX8000XE Model in Black with XE500 mics without the channel knob. They have slowly started to phase them in.

masstech

You're right. We have bad eyes - we didn't see the wide heads.

All bands are enabled? The antennas look to be a little small to be the V/U/7-8/GPS ones, or do our eyes deceive again here as well?

If they're all band, then VHF is being used for just Grand Central?

Has a radio zone/channel plan/layout been released? Or is it the same configuration as the XTS radios, including even the low power setup for the tactical channels?

4-crime

The antennas are all band OEM GPS antenna. They look a little smaller because on the XE model the antenna sits a little bit deeper inside of the radio.

FDNY operates on UHF for both dispatch and tactical operations. Unsure of any changes to the zone/ channel plan layouts. I would assume though that more channels have been included in these radios.

4-crime

8000s but only one band? Seems like an enormous waste of money.

FD operates on UHF2 conventional. But they do have operations on 800MHZ trunking as well. I am assuming all band are active in the portables.

This is a BIG upgrade for them considering they have been using XTS3500’s which use DOS based RSS to program them.

masstech

You're right, seeing some more angles of video looks right.

We read somewhere (probably on these forums) that there are caches of VHF XTS radios in various major train stations (Grand Central) for use there. Would not be surprised if those radio zones were programmed in.

Perhaps there are some zones for use with the various trunked systems in your area as well.

FDNY uses MDC for dispatch, and TPS on analog for tactical operations?

masstech

8000s but only one band? Seems like an enormous waste of money.

Motorola has discontinued the APX 7000s. You either get a single band radio (APX 6000) or an all band radio (8000) that you disable bands on. We would have to confirm looking at an older pricing sheet, but the pricing comes out just a little bit more expensive for a dual band APX 8000 over an APX 7000.

4-crime

Not sure why they have the 8000 (maybe specialty units?) but they do have frequencies on the 800mhz trunking system and I believe the apx7000 was discontinued.

The 8000XE will be the radio that fd will be using and phasing out the XTS radios. Not just specialty units.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
So we should see a flood of xts5000 for sale in the future ;)

Fire side radios are 3500 - you don't want them. They are beat to hell.

Ems does have 5000 but doubt you will ever see these on the market. Has anyone ever seen a FDNY radio on the used market before? MX, Saber, ASTRO

We are going to the 8000XE with all bands.
There is a new layout which has lots of new zones. Radios have VHF, UHF, 700 and 800 Interop channels along with out stuff.

Danny37

Fire side radios are 3500 - you don't want them. They are beat to hell.

Ems does have 5000 but doubt you will ever see these on the market. Has anyone ever seen a FDNY radio on the used market before? MX, Saber, ASTRO

There is a new layout which has lots of new zones. Radios have VHF, UHF, 700 and 800 Interop channels along with out stuff.

I can only imagine, aren't they around 20 years old now? I was able to hold an apx7000 in my hand and I instantly fell in love. I can only imagine what a 8000 must feel like. You mention 700mhz, I'm unaware of what is on 700 in NYC area other then the doitt system.

Also side note, how well do the xts5000 handle being wet? like rain water

masstech

I can only imagine, aren't they around 20 years old now? I was able to hold an apx7000 in my hand and I instantly fell in love. I can only imagine what a 8000 must feel like.

An 8000 feels like a 6000. The display is smaller and not high resolution, the PTT is clicky, but the keypad is a little softer than a 7000.

You mention 700mhz, I'm unaware of what is on 700 in NYC area other then the doitt system.

Radios have VHF, UHF, 700 and 800 Interop channels along with out stuff.

The key word here is "interop". There are several 700 MHz channels for national interoperability for non-federal/federal use.

masstech

Very nice. Are they all model II (limited keypad, no numpad)?

Is there a zone for Grand Central VHF as well? Any of those channels that are talkgroups on trunked systems, or do you only have conventional systems/personalities?

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Looks like there's some kind of SP channel knob. When I saw one a few weeks ago in the field, it looked almost like the 5000/3500 channel knob, not the stock 8000 or 8000 XE knob.

4-crime

Looks like there's some kind of SP channel knob. When I saw one a few weeks ago in the field, it looked almost like the 5000/3500 channel knob, not the stock 8000 or 8000 XE knob.

Anyone know a part # on this possible SP channel knob for the XE?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Very nice. Are they all model II (limited keypad, no numpad)?

Is there a zone for Grand Central VHF as well? Any of those channels that are talkgroups on trunked systems, or do you only have conventional systems/personalities?

They are full keypad not the limited.
Not sure about grand central,

Status
Not open for further replies.