• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GR300 issues--HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

I have a gr300 I'm having issues with. This gr300 is complete with a RICK and 2 gm300 radios. One of the radios seems to have incorrect settings for the rear pinout. With the rear accessory connector plugged in, the radio will not power off with the volume knob. Unplugged, it shuts off as normal.

Long story short, does anyone know the proper pin assignments for a general I/O repeater? I feel like the RICK isn't working properly, so I'd like to take it out of the loop and just use the radios. Any help with locating these settings within the RSS would be helpful too.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
That's due to the RICK sending B+ on the B+ line of the radio. There is no setting in the radio to change this its part of the RICK. If you want to pull the radios out and use them alone you need the 16 pin jumper for the back to jump EMERGENCY and SPEAKER. Also need Pin 10 ignition wire.

There are multiple sources for the documentation of the RICK out there. Its a pretty simple box. I have at least 6 of these repeaters and they work fine with GM,MAXTRAX, Radius, M1225 and CDM mobiles.

What your seeing is normal operation of a repeater with a RICK.

cmdrwill

You only need ONE A+ 'wire' usually from the switched A+ on the receiver radio that powers the RICK..
Remove the wire with the A+ voltage on it from the transmit radio connector. This dammed RICK wiring has caused traces in radios to burn up. One problem is the transmit radio is turned off by the volume control and the RICK 'says' transmit... burned up traces in the radio.

There are several other wires that are not needed in each cable, receiver and transmitter, to RICK.

RICK a very piss poor design.

My Tech writer did a wiring function that I could send you if you like. ALL our dammed RICKS were replaced many years ago.

Last edited:

cmdrwill

Receive radio Wire color Function RICK Programming

Pins 7 and 9 BLACK Ground Pin 7
Pin 8 GREEN RUS Pin 8 PL/DPL & CSQ DET
Pin 11 WHITE RX filtered audio Pin 11 JU 551B
Pin 13 RED RX switched 12 volts Pin 13

Transmit radio Wire color Function

Pin 7 and 9 BLACK Ground Pin 7
Pin 2 BROWN Mic Hi Pin 2
Pin 3 GREEN PTT Pin 3

N5XPM

I had many good experiences with M216 and GM300 radios on RICK (HLN 3333) interfaces years ago.
One suggestion is to turn off both radios at the power / volume switch before connecting everything.
Connect the power cords to the radios with the RICK repeater button off, then turn on the radios, then enable repeat on the RICK.
Once in awhile, if you don't follow that sequence, something might try to transmit at an inopportune time.
Then you need to take the radio that doesn't turn on anymore apart and replace a 1 amp green diode if I recall correctly.

Josh380

At any rate , I still want to remove the rick, the setup light will not shut off despite button presses, so I think the rick isn't working. I guessed that I could use the rick cable for the straight accessory to accessory connector...I suppose that guess is wrong. I'm not one to spend time making cables, so if someone could point me in the right direction as far as that....

And it seems as far as the RSS is concerned, I am unable to change any of the pinout settings from their predetermined settings. I've tried reading both radios in radio mode, and changing the radio wide settings to change the pinouts, but I can't deviate from any preset settings. In other words, I only have the option to change it from community PA, RICK RX, RICK TX, etc. No ability to change individual pins, even when I try to switch it to a custom pinout...it won't allow me.

N5XPM

I am a little rusty, but I think the 16 channel GM300 model is important for the Receiver radio and a 8 channel or M120 / M130 will work for transmitter (I used a Kenwood TK 730H that worked well for the transmitter radio.) The 16 channel GM300 has more programmability for the 16 pin Expanded Accessory connector, which matters for the receive radio.
I would NOT direct wire two radios together.
You might also find an affordable option on Ebay that does what the RICK does, but I haven't looked for awhile.

Josh380

Both radios are gm300's, 16 ch. Oddly enough, only one of them is actually programmed for 16 modes, although I don't believe there's anything specific programmed in those 16 channels.

cmdrwill

Next best bet is a ID-O-Matic board to replace your RICK, But that requires test equipment to set levels. OR I can repair the RICK, which sounds like it has a problem.

I also build cables.

PM for further.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
The setup led is on as the RICK is programmed for it. If you read the RICK manual you will see the various options via dip switches. There are also jumpers that some people remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.