San Bernardino County Sheriffs Turn Off Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

951ryan

Feed Provider
For those that didn't know SBSO recently went fully encrypted for all county agencies (excluding cities such as Ontario, Montclair...etc) however they recently shut off their encryption and now you are able to listen to everything.

San Bernardino PD is still fully encrypted however they are scheduled to shut off encryption in the next 4-6 weeks.

brandon

Database Admin
Very interesting. I'd love to know the reason behind it. Now if we can just get Riverside County to do the same :)

avdrummerboy

My guess would be either a lot of backlash from one of the most listened to counties in the US, or the more likely reason some sort of comm issues with the system. Digital roll outs are usually riddled with issues for years before the get ironed out. Hopefully it stays off though. Also, been listening all day on the old system 1 in the high desert and they don't have it patched so that may mean that there aren't any issues with the system and they actually did something nice for the hobby for a change!

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Dude, you were a day late for April fool's.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

djgrooven

For those that didn't know SBSO recently went fully encrypted for all county agencies (excluding cities such as Ontario, Montclair...etc) however they recently shut off their encryption and now you are able to listen to everything.

San Bernardino PD is still fully encrypted however they are scheduled to shut off encryption in the next 4-6 weeks.

So is this for reals? If it is for real it gives me hope to hear BRPD again.

allend

Premium Subscriber

The 700 mhz Mountain Simulcast is ENCRYPTED. Not sure why people waste time and post non-sense. This posting is even by audio feed individual too. Not sure what was behind all of this crap

brandon

Database Admin
Yep I just checked 100% encrypted the past hour since I put on Pro96Com.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Yep I just checked 100% encrypted the past hour since I put on Pro96Com.

Maybe as a DB admin you can just delete this whole thread. Crazy that somebody would call everybodies bluff. Very un-called for especially how sensitive this topic is around our town these days.

Thanks

dgower

Premium Subscriber
I would agree, at least delete the whole thread, and also delete user 951Ryan. RadioReference has built up quite a lot of credibility in both the monitoring enthusiast and public safety communications communities and something really juvenile and stupid like this will erode that credibility away a lot faster than it was built. Just my .02 cents.

Aaron_B

I would agree, at least delete the whole thread, and also delete user 951Ryan. RadioReference has built up quite a lot of credibility in both the monitoring enthusiast and public safety communications communities and something really juvenile and stupid like this will erode that credibility away a lot faster than it was built. Just my .02 cents.

Ditto, I understand that this was an "April fools" joke (a late one at that) from the OP, however, topics like this shouldn't be joked about IMO and just end up wasting everyone's time.

PaulNDaOC

My guess would be either a lot of backlash from one of the most listened to counties in the US, or the more likely reason some sort of comm issues with the system. Digital roll outs are usually riddled with issues for years before the get ironed out. Hopefully it stays off though. Also, been listening all day on the old system 1 in the high desert and they don't have it patched so that may mean that there aren't any issues with the system and they actually did something nice for the hobby for a change!

Unless the media is making a stink about it and the Board of Supervisors votes to do so, public safety would never do this for the benefit of the public in the name of transparency after investing in all those encryption keys.

I'm going to hedge my bet on a system issue or there was a problem with a good number or batch of new radios, and they are waiting for more to be placed into service.

Last edited:

avdrummerboy

It was posted on April 2nd, which is why I thought there was something to it. Oh well! As to investing in encryption keys, you really only need radios which do AES256, which is pretty much standard these days and a KVL4000 and Key Management Facility to create and load keys. You can then make and erase as many as your heart desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.