tonto nf

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for suggestions , Looking to stream the forest service again shortly. The comms are weak but I can pull the comms in. Any ideals how to get the signal stronger to hear them better? Thanks Thomas

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
You ask this question or one similar about this time every year. What kind of antenna are you using indoor or outdoor? If outdoor have you checked your coax for any splits,shorts,etc. If indoors can you move the scanner to a different location for better reception? Are you still using a Pro-197 and still having problems if yes try another scanner if no what are you using now?

kd7ckq

Discone antennas are nice, but they have no gain. Even a ham antenna like a Diamond X50 will work better than that discone.
I started out using a Radio Shack Discone. Then I upgraded to a X50 and have been using that since.

KB7MIB

How high up is the discone? Has it been checked for damage recently? How are the connections?
What kind of coax are you using? How long is the run of coax? How old is the coax? Has it been checked with a volt-ohm meter recently? Are the connections still good, or have they had water intrusion into them?
What kind of scanner are you using? Is it programmed properly for narrow FM? Are there any nearby interference sources?

More information is needed in order for anyone to be able to help you.

John
Peoria

kd7ckq

Just a FYI, Tonto NF changed freq. this year. They changed over in Feb..

i have all the frequencies plugged in, Diamond point look out repeater sticks open a lot, I had to lock it out. the stream is loud an clear this year. been picking up a lot of amall fires in the past week. During the day I tonto as the primary stream.

kd7ckq

KB7MIB

Some forests have a dedicated law enforcement channel. The Tonto NF does not. Tonto NF LEO's use the Maricopa and Gila County Sheriff's Office channels.

John
Peoria, AZ

Tonto LE

They do log on with Phoenix using Fire Net 1, 110, 210, 310, and 410 are the Rangers Their primary channel is the Sheriffs search channel they use this for car to car comms with the sheriffs. When responding to fires they use Fire Net 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.