• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Museum piece?? Can anyone identify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manlius

Premium Subscriber
My cousin sent me a picture of a piece of Motorola gear he saw in an antique shop recently. The tag says “Police radio??”. My first thought is that it might be an old trunk-mount unit missing the control head, and probably VHF-Low. It looks like old style blade connectors on the right might be where a control head would hook up. I can’t make out the model number off the ID tag. He’s going to stop again, and if it’s still there, get the model number. In the meantime, any guesses?
22f7ab5558e613319c77965c1669d272.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCHLLM

This definitely never had a T-power supply, and this, along with pre-Progress Line GE radios, is what I learned to be a radio technician on. In fact, it is what preceded the Twin-V series which did sport a transistor power supply in its later versions. It reminds me that I am very, very old........ :-D

Anybody here remember "inject the signal, short T2 to ground, tune T1. Short T1 to T3, tune T2. Short T2 to T4, tune T3............etc?

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
It reminds me that I am very, very old........ :-D

Same here, I was converting Pre Prog and Prog line (vibrator and "T" power) GE radios to 25 khz from 50 khz in the early 70's. BTW some of those era radios before vibrators actually had dynamotors (basically a starter motor) in them for the B+. Sounded like you starting a car up when you keyed the radio. You watched your lights dim, and some were only 6 volt as some cars back then were only 6 volt. Installs could take all day as you ran number 6 wire from the trunk to the battery, along with a 1" control cable.
You could never fit a radio like that into today's cars.

The Twin-V series were a lot narrower and had the heat sink on the end with the handle and the now famous for breaking pins Mot control cable plug. I am not sure if I remember correctly but I though Mot made a vibrator model in the same chassis as the Twin-V.

After my military service I jumped into Master II (NYSP) and Micors (Westchester Co Parkway Police).

Do we remember the 2 piece GE transistor line TPL (Transistorized Progress Line). Where you could separate the RX from the TX if you didn't have enough room to install under the dash.

manlius

Premium Subscriber
At the very least, I’m glad my post enabled a trip down memory lane for you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.