• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-2312 programming software question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriorMike

Looking around online there seems to be different versions of the KPG-134 software for programming the TK-2312. I see 134D, DK and DNK, and versions 2.32 and 2.33.

Is there a particular version I should go with? I'm programming a 2312 for receive only(fire and weather) and would be using a Windows 10 based laptop.

Lastly, is there a recommended vendor for the OEM Kenwood CD and cable? I see a lot of USB sticks that apparently have the software on it and questionable cables for sale online...

Thanks.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I agree with you, your best bet is going through a dealer and buying genuine. It may cost a little more but you also aren't risking buying something that doesn't work (i.e. a cable or software).

KD4EFM on here is a dealer in Florida. If you don't have a dealer closer to you then he may be able to help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking around online there seems to be different versions of the KPG-134 software for programming the TK-2312. I see 134D, DK and DNK, and versions 2.32 and 2.33.

Is there a particular version I should go with? I'm programming a 2312 for receive only(fire and weather) and would be using a Windows 10 based laptop.

The latest release is KPG-134DN version 2.33. It was released in December 2012.

The "N" means it's narrow band software, and that would coincide with the December 2012 release date. Since the FCC required narrow banding to be complete by January 01, 2013, a lot of the updated software released at the end of 2012 was to meet that requirement.
I do believe the "K" is the market code for the software. K = North America.

So, what does this mean to you?

First, the software you use will be dictated by the firmware version in the radio. Newer firmware requires updated/matching programming software. Likely any radio with a firmware version of 2.33 or newer is gong to require using the 2.33 or newer programming software. Older software versions will not work with newer firmware. It'll throw an error.

Narrow banded radio/software/firmware won't be an issue, however since NOAA is still running wide band FM on their systems, the audio might sound a bit distorted.

On the VHF radios, the programming software (-N- type) will force you to use narrow band FM above 150.1MHz. Below that, it'll allow wide band. That's good for amateur radio operators for use on the 2 meter band, but an issue on the marine VHF channels and the few remaining wide band VHF frequencies.

You -may- be able to get a W-license from Kenwood. It'll open up the newer software (2.33) to allow wide band programming. It isn't free. It's also keyed to the KPG software. You'll have to fill out some paper work (easy) however you'll need to know the activation key for the KPG-134 software. If you purchase a legitimate copy of the software, you'll get a software key. On the other hand, some folks that choose to download "free" software off Russian hosting sites might not go over well with Kenwood.

The narrow band radios will work with NOAA radio. It just may not sound as good as a wide band radio. I'd give it a try before dropping money on the W-license (I think it's around $75.00).

Lastly, is there a recommended vendor for the OEM Kenwood CD and cable? I see a lot of USB sticks that apparently have the software on it and questionable cables for sale online...

kd4efm would be a good choice to get a real copy of the software.

Downloading KPG software off the internet, or buying bootleg copies off e-Bay or other source, and even USB sticks with the software opens up some issues…
As I'm sure you can guess, it's a good way to introduce viruses and the like to your computer. Buyer beware.
If you care (most don't) there's also the copyright issue. Only legal place to get the software is from Kenwood.
Also, as I mentioned above, you have to have the correct version of software depending on the firmware version of your radio. Make sure you get the version that will work.
You also need to make sure that you are getting the activation key with the software.

As for programming cables,
I've never had an issue with the Kenwood brand cables. I have had issues with the one non-Kenwood cable I bought years ago.
Some aftermarket cables are good, some are not. The Kenwood cables are expensive. I do know that some of the after market cables work just fine. Buyer beware.

PriorMike

Thanks for the information.

I'd prefer to keep things above board if I can with regards to the software.

If a radio has the 'older' firmware in it, can you use the more recent software and does it update the radio when you do?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber

If a radio has the 'older' firmware in it, can you use the more recent software and does it update the radio when you do?
No, firmware updating is seperate.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Always a good plan. Saves hassles down the road.

The newer software will work with older firmware.
As kd4efm said, it won't update the firmware when you just program the radio, however it may complain about putting wide band frequencies in.

Status
Not open for further replies.