Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talbarez

Has anyone else noticed that it seems like Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center and Osseo have gone encrypted?

stmills

Has anyone else noticed that it seems like Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center and Osseo have gone encrypted?

Currently Encrypted PD Car to Car:
Brooklyn Center
Brooklyn Park
Golden Valley
Hennepin Sheriff Patrol
Hopkins
Maple Grove
Osseo
Plymouth
Robbinsdale
South Lake Minnetonka

Soon to be Encrypted car to car
Crystal
Dayton
Medina
St. Anthony
Three Rivers Park Police
Wayzata

Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Champlain,
and Osseo began testing encrypted distach on HLaw 4E on some evening shifts last week.

Last edited:

Talbarez

I never saw any news of them going encrypted, or plans to do so. are other agencies planning to do so soon?

stmills

I never saw any news of them going encrypted, or plans to do so. are other agencies planning to do so soon?

Looks like all of the Law Enforcement Dispatch channels will be switching to encrypted in the near future.
I have heard both Scott and Dakota counties are adding more encrypted channels not sure to what extent this will be.

kb0uxv

Several others are considering this especially as old radios are replaced with newer encryption capable radios. Washington County has moved several tacs to encrypted last year. The old flavor was tac only but more are considering or making plans for mains. Its really too bad - there is a loss of interoperability especially when mains move, and an element of public participation is lost as well. Many good examples of scanner enthusiasts helping public safety. But unfortunately there is a growing number of examples of criminals using the easy to use RR feeds / phone apps - criminals that could probably never figure out how to program a trunked scanner (or in some cases afford one) but can get to a nearly live and free feed with a few swipes of the smart phone. RR / broadcastify has become its own worst enemy unfortunately, and the site's admins have not been receptive to working with public safety.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
Several others are considering this especially as old radios are replaced with newer encryption capable radios. Washington County has moved several tacs to encrypted last year. The old flavor was tac only but more are considering or making plans for mains. Its really too bad - there is a loss of interoperability especially when mains move, and an element of public participation is lost as well. Many good examples of scanner enthusiasts helping public safety. But unfortunately there is a growing number of examples of criminals using the easy to use RR feeds / phone apps - criminals that could probably never figure out how to program a trunked scanner (or in some cases afford one) but can get to a nearly live and free feed with a few swipes of the smart phone. RR / broadcastify has become its own worst enemy unfortunately, and the site's admins have not been receptive to working with public safety.

True.

stmills

What about fire/rescue ?

Fire- have not heard any discussion of adding encryption to fire Talkgroups, I know of other parts of the country where encrypted fire radio is fairly common.
EMS- encryption has started to move into some of the EMS Talkgroups in MN : specifically Air ambulances and Supervisor Talkgroups but I would not be surprised to see it expand.

stmills

This information.

Sources I have developed in the Public Safety and radio industry as well as detailed monitoring of the ARMER system. Tonight just like last Friday and Saturday 3200, 5100, 5200 & 6600 Units are being dispatched of Hennepin Law 4E. This will expand over time .

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber

It's not particularly good for transparency either.

Imago

I've noticed Spring Lake Park PD has always used encrypted as well. Can confirm EMS Air ambulance has "gone dark" and many others as previous poster mentioned. Will they hand out DES keys for use outside thier radios? how often are the keys changes? doubt it but i can dream

Status
Not open for further replies.