SharkRF OpenSpot vs MMDVM

Status
Not open for further replies.

S21IL

So planning to get a hotspot. Do they both essentially do the same thing? Which one would be more preferred? Leaning towards the mmdvm because of a cheaper price and integrated WiFi on the Pi zero. As mostly plan on using it mobile, the OpenSpot lacks the WiFi Connectivity and carrying a portable router seems too much a hassle. Just wanna know if I'm going in the right direction with the mmdvm. This'll by my first purchase, so don't really know much about hotspots.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

If the MMDVM you are looking at getting is using Pi STAR, I would go with the MMDVM. Pi STAR is actively being developed and works extremely well. Plus on D-STAR it can handle the newer Quadnet Smart Groups whereas the Shark can't.

bradmc

Feed Provider
I agree that an MMDVM based board with Pi-Star is probably the better way to go. Don't know if you use more than one DV mode, but it will scan between whichever modes you turn on in the configuration, which lets you work all modes without having to touch the configuration. You can configure the number of seconds separately for each mode of how long it will wait without activity before moving on. With the openSPOT, you need to change the configuration to change to a different mode. I'd think that would be a big advantage while mobile.

Brad N8QQ

S21IL

I agree that an MMDVM based board with Pi-Star is probably the better way to go. Don't know if you use more than one DV mode, but it will scan between whichever modes you turn on in the configuration, which lets you work all modes without having to touch the configuration. You can configure the number of seconds separately for each mode of how long it will wait without activity before moving on. With the openSPOT, you need to change the configuration to change to a different mode. I'd think that would be a big advantage while mobile.

Brad N8QQ
Just gonna use dmr for now. But considering the price and the built in WiFi, MMDVM is the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, ordered a mmdvm+pi zero+screen+enclosure from Ali Express for around $120 shipped.

prcguy

The OpenSpot was just on sale for 119.84 Euro including shipping.
prcguy

Just gonna use dmr for now. But considering the price and the built in WiFi, MMDVM is the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, ordered a mmdvm+pi zero+screen+enclosure from Ali Express for around $120 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.