• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Portable Bootstrap/Flashzap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotorolaXTSeries

Feed Provider
Has anyone actually gotten an APX portable into flashzap/bootstrap and read/wrote to it? The mobile I don't have any issue, it will go right to maintenance mode and I can read and write with CPS no problem. The portable seems to be challenging. I get a red blank display on the top and nothing on the main screen. It is the same as the astro by pushing PTT and orange when powering up I know because the computer will recognize as a flashzap device. But other than that I am not successful. I orig tried on a radio that kept rebooting to no avail, but then I tried it on a healthy APX 6000 and still no luck.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Blank red display is normal when the radio is in flashzap mode.

However, as someone has already asked, why the heck are you putting the radio into flashzap mode?

SCPD

QRT
Hmmm. Give you a guess. What is the firmware of the 2 problem apx units. Out of curiosity.

MotorolaXTSeries

Feed Provider
I put in the orig post that I have a rebooting apx 6000? I bought a parts unit online knowing it was a parts unit with a sticker. Nothing shady it was advertised straight up honestly as a rebooting unit for parts. I was just curious to see if I could do anything with it at all. I can't read or write in at all with CPS when I put in flashzap. I have been able to recover some astro radios a few years back and just wanted to know why I have no trouble with the moble apx's but I can't get it with the portable. I do not have two bad radios, I have as said one healthy radio that I also cannot read or write in flash zap. (that one is FW 16 to answer the question on it) I figured maybe because the rebooting radio was rebooting for whatever is wrong with it is because I couldn't communicate with it. But then when I tried my good radio that has no issues I also couldn't do anything with it in flashzap. I wasn't sure if there were something special about the portables vs mobiles. I'm not sure why I cannot do anything with the good one though either. I was hoping maybe someone was had some experience with it thats all. I'm not selling it or looking to do anything bad with it. If no one has been successful with this line in flashzap thats perfectly ok. Thank you all so far for the replies I appreciate it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm wondering if somebody used an old version of Depot on the radio which wasn't compatible with the current firmware in the radio?

hitechRadio

Forget what you learned with astro radios, the APX's are a completely different animal.

Can you put it test mode and see what hardware/software is installed?

SCPD

QRT
I hear the new firmware doesn't take the old depot too well resulting in issues. They are well aware of the leaked items around and hear they put out a fix for it older dep won't play well with new firmware. Supposidly they have tightened security on that internally.

Heard it has made fancy bricks for some while others got away lucky prior to a brick being formed. Not fun for those ones sending in a unit when it shows up what caused the fail for it to be sent in.

During the astro 25 series they were aware of what units were touched by the garage upgrades though not much enforcement all the time was used. Possibly since it was end of life but I have heard of cases they did look into it Specially with contract entities in government.

MotorolaXTSeries

Feed Provider
I'm wondering if somebody used an old version of Depot on the radio which wasn't compatible with the current firmware in the radio?

I was kind of assuming that because the condition of the radio is really good actually. Unless it was recasted which is a possibility.

MotorolaXTSeries

Feed Provider
Forget what you learned with astro radios, the APX's are a completely different animal.

Can you put it test mode and see what hardware/software is installed?

All it does it powers on I see the display for maybe half a second then reboot. I can't get into test at all. All I can do is go into flash zap, see it on my windows control panel and thats basically it

MotorolaXTSeries

Feed Provider
What bad luck to have two of the same model radios doing the exact same thing.

I think I would switch to Harris radios if I was you. :p

eh idk I really like my moto's. I can post some pictures if you guys don't believe me? I'm not trying to pull the wool over your eyes or anything. But if accessing this radio via flashzap isn't possible that's really all I was after. I'm not out anything so its ok

MotorolaXTSeries

Feed Provider
Then quit messing with software you have no business messing with.

I didnt know I wasn't allowed to read a radio in flashzap? I'm sorry that offended you. I guess we can just close the post I'm not looking to start trouble or anger people. No sense of that. Thank you for the reply though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.