pl259 to bnc

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know where in mesa I can pick one of these up? Amazon will take 4 days, walmart, target, home depot, lowes, staples do not have any!. just got a new antenna and cable . Thanks

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, Fry's will be your friend for RF connectors / adapters...I'm lucky to have the Phoenix Fry's located 4-5 miles away. They aren't as good as the old Ratshack back when they had drawers of RF connectors, but Fry's has most of what you will need without having to wait for internet orders. And it may be quite a drive for you, but if you really need something in short order, HRO at 43rd Avenue and Peoria should have anything Fry's doesn't have.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Straying a little...

I was in Phoenix last year and needed some electronic items. I Google'd and found lots of "Fry's", I thought that was awesome, until I pulled up to the closest one to me and found it to be a grocery store.

I can't believe how similar their signs are.

KB7MIB

Straying a little...

I was in Phoenix last year and needed some electronic items. I Google'd and found lots of "Fry's", I thought that was awesome, until I pulled up to the closest one to me and found it to be a grocery store.

I can't believe how similar their signs are.
I

Fry's Electronics was started by the grandson of the man who started Fry's food stores. That probably explains the similarity.

John
Peoria

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I

Fry's Electronics was started by the grandson of the man who started Fry's food stores. That probably explains the similarity.

John
Peoria

LOL, yeah you always have to search for "Fry's Electronics"..."Fry's" gets you groceries.

And you always have cool tidbits of information John, that was very interesting. I never knew that about Fry's Electronics being related to the grocery store.

KB7MIB

I work for Fry's food stores. Other than the grandfather/grandson link and the similarity in the signs, the two companies have no other link to each other. There are no business links between them.

John
Peoria

Phoenix805

I

John
Peoria

The Fry's in Tempe started out as Incredible Universe which was actually an offshoot of Tandy (Radio Shack's parent company). Tandy decided to get out of the super store business and sold several of their stores to the Fry family.

kd7ckq

Correct me if I am wrong but, weren't the Tandy Stores called Tech America first.

ki6bu

It just amazes me that the 5th largest city in this country doesn't have a decent electronics parts store.
It drives me nuts.
When I lived in So. Cal. I had electronic stores all around me.

Phoenix805

<Correct me if I am wrong but, weren't the Tandy Stores called Tech America first.>

Entirely possible. I don't remember that, but then there's lots of things I don't remember.

<It just amazes me that the 5th largest city in this country doesn't have a decent electronics parts store.
It drives me nuts.
When I lived in So. Cal. I had electronic stores all around me.>

Times have changed, there used to be several good places, but the ones I remember have gone out of business. Except for some Hams and some tinkerers, no one makes component repairs anymore, everything is either replace a whole circuit board, or throw out the item and buy a new one. Repair costs often aren't cost effective. And if you do want to replace parts, everything now is mail order (or more appropriately on-line order).

I'm not a big fan of Fry's, but admittedly they do carry a pretty good supply of electronic components. Unfortunately I only know of two of them, Tempe and North Phoenix. If you're anywhere else in the Valley you have a long drive.

Like KR7CQ mentioned there's a Ham Radio Outlet at 43 Ave & Peoria, I believe they have lots of antenna parts (cables, connectors, adapters, mounts, etc.) in stock, but I don't believe they carry most electronic parts.

ki6bu

True, times have changed. I now get parts from Digi-Key, Mouser, All-Electronics and a few others these days.

The Radio Shack.com store that was in Mesa on Alma School I believe, was great, they also had one in Colorado.
At the time I spoke with the manager and he told me the Mesa store was doing very well but the other one was not doing that great. Then the economy went to heck.

KB7MIB

At one time, there was a store in Tempe that carried parts for old radios, such as tubes.
I don't know if it still exists.

John
Peoria

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
It just amazes me that the 5th largest city in this country doesn't have a decent electronics parts store.
It drives me nuts.
When I lived in So. Cal. I had electronic stores all around me.

Hear hear. When I talk to friends/family in Calif., when I try to describe Phoenix the best description I've come up with is "Phoenix is kind of like a big .. Sylmar.. or Van Nuys but from the 1990s". It may be the 5th "largest" but I think it speaks in terms of size- as in, sq. miles or something. Phoenix is in no wise a "large city". It is like one, giant, small town with a lot of people in it.

I enjoy going to the original Fry's Electronics in Northern Calif. It's a nice pleasant store. But back to the topic, I really miss the days when you could find parts & connectors at any city center shopping area- Radio Shack, something. It's very sad to me all those little places are gone now. Not EVERY one shops online these days. Two of my neighbors, that I know of- do not use the internet- yes, even these days.

KB7MIB

Phoenix is the 6th largest in population size. Philadelphia is the 5th. (I was born and raised 14 years in a Philly suburb.) New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston are 1st through 4th from what I can find.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.