Yaesu: Comparing VX-5, VX-6, VX-8 was: Looking ot get a new HT want some opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunspot

Hey there,

I got my license about a decade ago, just now getting back into it. I have my extra class license.

I have some older VX-5R radios which I thought were incredibly back in the day but I want something a little more modern. Having a hard time deciding on anything. Would you guys mind giving some opinions? The more bands the better.

Also, I see most people talk about the VX-6R and VX-8R these days. What's the advantages to these over a 5R? Especially from the 5 to the 6. Thinking about picking up a 6 but it's pretty old itself.

Thanks!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Nothing wrong with the VX-5R. The advantage I can see with the VX-6R is that it has a lot more memories than the 212 of the VX-5R. Some might feel the screw in microphone will be less susceptible to being pulled out. VX-8R no longer available but again has the advantage on many more memories. Depending on model, it has APRS capability. It also has the screw in microphone. My suggestion would be to look at the newer C4FM capable handhelds as they are digital and some have APRS capability. I really can't say if the audio out is any louder but the 8R is not great. However, the 8R is dual receive. Of course, the more the HH is capable of doing, the greater the cost. Kenwood has the TH-74 which is capable of doing more APRS functions, and has D-star if one is interested in this form of digital communication. But it is not cheap. Some people may recommend the CCRs but they really have no advantage over the VX-5R. But of course all these radios are larger than the VX-5R. Yaesu has a number of newer HH and I cannot comment too much on them but their memory storage is similar to the 5R. Their 1XDR and 2DR has something I really like and that is programming is via SD card so really easy to change and update frequencies.

sunspot

Thank you for your reply.

From what you're saying it sounds like there isn't much of a reason for me to upgrade from a 5R to a 6R.

What kind of digital systems are available these days? Are there any radios that are capable of handling all of them? I recently acquired an IC-7300 and I'm looking for an extra base station to handle the higher bands besides my handhelds and I'd like to have as many options as possible.

Thanks!

lmrtek

The VX6 is a Quad band radio and is still the best analog HT on the market for ham use.
It is truely the last of the quaity front ends on the market

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
The VX6 is a Quad band radio and is still the best analog HT on the market for ham use.

I don't think the VX-6R is a Quad Band. As far as I have used, it is a tri band but 220 RF output is low at only 1.5 watts or lower.

sunspot

Can I ask what makes it superior to the 5R? To where it would be worth upgrading? I have two 5Rs and I'm having some trouble seeing where the 6R would be worth upgrading to besides extra memories. Also what do you mean by "front ends"?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.