Burlington County Trunk System - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Has anyone else had a problems listening to the county system?

I use a Uniden HP. I listen to P3 primarily, the police band for Mt Holly and surrounding towns. A couple nights ago, I noticed that I was hearing all types of traffic (ambulance and other police districts) on the channel. I get a lot of open carriers too.

Anybody else dealing with this? Have you fixed it?

Thanks in adnavce.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
No problems here on the Medford site. I'll give a listen on the West Hampton site and see what I get. There were some problems a few years ago at the West zone site in Tabernacle. One of the voice channels had a constant carrier being transmitted from the site. It would not affect system subscriber radios but it would wreak havoc on scanners.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting the carriers you mentioned jrb. I'm only getting it intermittently as I'm almost on the fringe of that site. They appear to be having similar problems now at either the West Hampton site or another in that zone as they did at the Tabernacle site.

Scan the voice channels conventionally to determine which one it is. Then drive to the sites in that zone with your scanner to see which one is the culprit. You'll know it when you get close just using a scanner.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help. Why would it only affect scanners and not actual radios in the system?

I've turned off all sites but Westampton, and I'll try to narrow it down over the weekend.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It only affects scanners due to their inferior receivers and the firmware controlling the scanner. When a digital talk group voice call drops and there is an analog carrier on the voice channel the scanner should ignore it. But as you have discovered the carrier comes thru and locks thing up until you intervene or the carrier goes away. Subscriber radios are much better at handling an anomaly like this and are unaffected.

Status
Not open for further replies.