Open carrier in southern Bergen County on 154.1600.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
There has been an open carrier on 154.1600, in Southern Bergen County it's static but still open all day. Anyone else in the area getting it an clearer? Is it worth reporting it to the FCC?

Thanks

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
No open carrier here, you monitoring any PL in particular?

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
No running it on CSQ, when I go to our PL I don't get it. Wasn't getting it on pager, once in a while on a portable. All the time on base and mobile radios.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing it for a few days now too. tried tracking it earlier while running some errands around the area. No PL is making it a lot harder. I'm usually good at triangulating a signal LOL

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Just plugged it into my TRX-1 and I'm getting open carrier. I'm also getting open carrier on 155.55 (PL 156.7), which is Bergen County's VHF patch to the TRS

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
It's been over 2 weeks now with this open carrier on 154.160. I'm in Southern BC and its loud and clear on all base and mobile radios. I think it's coming from north of us. How do I report this to the FCC? 154.1600 is the main dispatch channel for many BC towns.

kevinparrish

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I also confirm an open-carrier present on 154.1600 MHz (CSQ) in Bergen County, NJ as of 2100 HRS on 4/23/18. DF ops were conducted earlier this evening and all SIGINT info has now been turned over to the FCC Enforcement Bureau for further action. My bet is that the 24/7 un-modulated carrier on 154.1600 MHz will soon go silent. Stay tuned for the rest of the story once the info is officially released.

KP

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I hope so, our FD runs CSQ on the receive side of our radios. We do that so we don't step on other towns. I'm at the point where I'm going to update the code plug with our PL.

kevinparrish

Premium Subscriber
UPDATED INFORMATION:

The open-carrier / interference which has been affecting multiple fire departments operating on 154.1600 MHz in Bergen County, New Jersey has been silenced as of 1900 HRS this evening, 04/25/18.

KP

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
That's great. I did hear a member of City Wide Radio NY reporting that it was shut down by the FCC and it was not purposely done, and it may be because of someone working on a radio who shouldn't have been. I'd like to get more info. Doe's the FCC make available complaints that were mitigated?

kevinparrish

Premium Subscriber
Radio Chief 55,

I'm unsure if the FCC "NOV" has been sent out yet? Once it hits the USPS + 72-hours a public disclosure will become available.

You should know that there was no harmfull intent in this case. The "open carrier" on 154.1600 MHz was caused as a direct result of actions undertaken by a contractor (radio shop) to remove several piecies legacy radio / dispatch equipment from a fire station. The offending fire department had no idea they were causing any problems to others.

KP

snapple4th

Whats the violation? It was an accident. FCC violations aren't handed out like candy, there is a very specific process and right to hearing.

Who's getting the violation? The FCC in my experience if very wary of fining or violating government entities for obvious financial and political reasons. Most are handled internal without any public advisory.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info Kevin.

I didn't think it was done maliciously, I thought it may have been a radio that the department didn't know it was transmitting. Can you post or PM me the public disclosure once it become available?

Were looking for a new radio contractor, I'd like to know what one no to use.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.