Changes coming to the way Cincinnati and Hamilton County Dispatches Emergency Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

diana8

Premium Subscriber
So I wonder what changes, if any, will occur to how the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County Dispatches their emergency services in light of the investigations that are ongoing. It is truly a shame that I have more capability to find my lost phone at my finger tips than emergency services had to find this poor kid. What is everyone's else thought and suggestions on the matter?

WATCH LIVE: 911 system was operational when Kyle Plush called be - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

fyrfyter33

So I wonder what changes, if any, will occur to how the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County Dispatches their emergency services in light of the investigations that are ongoing. It is truly a shame that I have more capability to find my lost phone at my finger tips than emergency services had to find this poor kid. What is everyone's else thought and suggestions on the matter?

WATCH LIVE: 911 system was operational when Kyle Plush called be - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

This applies to the city of Cincinnati only. Hamilton County has a separate 911 call center and dispatch system.

To my knowledge, Hamilton County isn’t going through dispatchers at a rapid rate, so it begs the question, what is really going on?

CincyKid

If there are any changes, it should be with the operators who field the 911 telephone calls and dispatch the proper agencies and not any changes to the broadcasting equipment they use. With regards to the student at Seven Hills School who died when he could not be found, I have wondered if an operator has the ability to immediately re-listen to an incoming call via some audio re-play. In this case, the operator has indicated she could not understand what he was saying. Is there an ability for an operator or supervisor to quickly hear it again via tape, etc?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Yes, the system records and stores everything, 911 call and radio communications.

And most dispatch consoles (and call taker positions) have instant recall, which allows a dispatcher or call taker to replay a few minutes of audio (or the last several calls, however it's set up).

Problem is, if audio didn't make it from Point A to Point B, it may not have made it to the console reliably, and with phones ringing and the usual goings-on of a dispatch center around you, it's pretty tough to track it down on the fly. With the chaotic conditions (and probable technical issues) that must be in Cincinnati's 911 center due to the dramatic understaffing, I can totally understand how some information could get missed.

Unfortunately, the feeling out in the public (and by elected officials, who generally only give a damn when something goes wrong, like now) has often been along the lines of "answering phones and radios, how tough can that be?" I was a police/fire/EMS dispatcher for 22 years, and I can tell you it's a very tough, stressful job, which is one of the reasons there's very high turnover and lots of overtime due to a shortage of personnel. And when something like this happens, it's often just as tough on the dispatcher as for the loved ones, because they couldn't do more.

In my mind, dispatchers still don't get paid nearly enough, or get enough respect for the incredibly tough job they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.