• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Setup CB Base station (Noobie Questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphex

Hey Radio Ref

I have a TRC434 base station CB radio (No SSB on this thing :( ) I wanted to setup a 4 ft no ground plane antenna on my balcony in the back (I'm on the 2nd floor) I have been playing with the setup for a few days heard some staticky chatter the other day figured I was getting somewhere, went outside to make a change of postion and the mounting assembly came apart the coax came out of the ring on the antenna and now I'm a bit discouraged.

I cam across 2 4 foot regular ground plane antennas (without mounts) and I want to figure out what to buy to get atleast one of them mounted and grounded to the balcony or if I must run a ground line I will just need to know the best way to approach this, cant really put much more cash into this right now ( I can buy some coax and mounts)

If you need pictures of how it was setup and where I want to mount this let me know I have a few!

Been trying to reach out to local HAMs in Montreal been waiting for their next meeting to get some pointers from them.

Thanks for reading looking forward to hearing back!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hey Radio Ref

I have a TRC434 base station CB radio (No SSB on this thing :( ) I wanted to setup a 4 ft no ground plane antenna on my balcony in the back (I'm on the 2nd floor) I have been playing with the setup for a few days heard some staticky chatter the other day figured I was getting somewhere, went outside to make a change of postion and the mounting assembly came apart the coax came out of the ring on the antenna and now I'm a bit discouraged.

I cam across 2 4 foot regular ground plane antennas (without mounts) and I want to figure out what to buy to get atleast one of them mounted and grounded to the balcony or if I must run a ground line I will just need to know the best way to approach this, cant really put much more cash into this right now ( I can buy some coax and mounts)

If you need pictures of how it was setup and where I want to mount this let me know I have a few!

Been trying to reach out to local HAMs in Montreal been waiting for their next meeting to get some pointers from them.

Thanks for reading looking forward to hearing back!
You could configure the two antennas as a dipole.

Sent using Tapatalk

cyphex

So this is what I have available in the antenna dept the one with the tuning tip visible is Ngp with the Ngp coax and connector.

I don't know what kind of connector to buy for the ground plane antennas kinda went nuts buying stuff on clearance lol didn't think I would go so nuts for this hobby lol

I have a connector to plug the Cb antenna to my Sdr dongle but the interference from the power lines nearby appeared to be really intense lol will take a pic of it next time.

The Ngp coax broke off from the ring mount on the coax like I said wondering if I can just re sodder it back together.

Anyways once again thanks for reading guys!
339d27071e1e53ea1b40630fe8584d95.jpg
1c41d8ed90c1c6c384b5e47d31acec8b.jpg
836c430e3ed7b583f2e146e96237e04c.jpg
5a057b61e7524602ae9a5b80da673157.jpg
ab27cdadd7d0aed5922b1f795c4f3a7b.jpg
dbbd87cf7aa6bb861a10182720f542f4.jpg
468638c36de57c93b077132ad221eb0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

lmrtek

Since the railing is steel, you may get better performance by clamping the antenna directly to it.
If you wanr to have it that high above the rail, you need to run ground radials off the mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.