What Mode Will We Want Or Get Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Now that more consumer grade scanners can get APCO P25, DMR/MOTO TRBO, and NXDN, what is the next most likely mode that United States consumers will want in their scanners? Will consumers want any of the common ham radio digital modes, like Yaesu System Fusion and Icom D-Star? What about MPT-1327? I have read that there may be some MPT-1327 systems in the United States now.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Now that more consumer grade scanners can get APCO P25, DMR/MOTO TRBO, and NXDN, what is the next most likely mode that United States consumers will want in their scanners? Will consumers want any of the common ham radio digital modes, like Yaesu System Fusion and Icom D-Star? What about MPT-1327? I have read that there may be some MPT-1327 systems in the United States now.

The application for MPT-1327 is rather small seeing that it’s technically the predecessor to DMR Tier III and like most other analog formats, is being phased out for digital solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smason

Would like D-Star, but likely not worth the investment for the scanner manufacturers. Doubt there's more than a small percentage of scannists who want it.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Would like D-Star, but likely not worth the investment for the scanner manufacturers. Doubt there's more than a small percentage of scannists who want it.

It shouldn't cost anything to implement D-Star (hardware wise) as Uniden already paid for the AMBE chip and D-STAR is an open protocol. It would just cost them in firmware programming costs.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
It shouldn't cost anything to implement D-Star (hardware wise) as Uniden already paid for the AMBE chip and D-STAR is an open protocol. It would just cost them in firmware programming costs.

A few things to keep in mind.

1. Regarding the concept of "just cost them firmware". Developing and testing another digital format to decode can be a *huge* cost. If there is not enough code/data memory space left in the Flash memory of a particular model scanner to do this, then it becomes impossible for that model.

2. Just because DVSI licenses a specific vocoder for a particular usage (for example P25 Phase II), does *not* necessarily mean that they do not require a separate upfront and per unit fee for using the exact same vocoder for an additional usage (for example DMR).

3. The vocoder used for D-Star is different than the vocoder used for P25, DMR or NXDN (see below). This would would require additional license fees from DVSI and additional DSP code/data space to implement.

D-STAR: AMBE Vocoder, 3600 bps for voice (2400 AMBE encoding, 1200 bps FEC).
P25 Phase I: IMBE Vocoder, 7200 bps for voice (IMBE 4400 encoding, 2800 bps FEC)
P25 Phase II, DMR, NXDN: AMBE Vocoder, 3600 bps for voice (2450 AMBE encoding, 1150 bps FEC)

smason

A few things to keep in mind.

2. Just because DVSI licenses a specific vocoder for a particular usage (for example P25 Phase II), does *not* necessarily mean that they do not require a separate upfront and per unit fee for using the exact same vocoder for an additional usage (for example DMR).

3. The vocoder used for D-Star is different than the vocoder used for P25, DMR or NXDN (see below). This would would require additional license fees from DVSI and additional DSP code/data space to implement.

Yup, 100% agreed!

OceanNora

MPT-1327 would be a nice pipe dream, as would be Passport LTR (there are a few left in my area). I think Tetra would be something that they should seriously think about though. Our non-US users would likely be happy (bearing in mind many of the systems are encrypted), and there is at least one large U.S. transit system on it. Provoice was an equally niche application when the upgrade for it came out in 2015, but I definitely appreciated it as it allows me to listen to my local transit system.

Status
Not open for further replies.