Yaesu: FT-65R ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufust

Any experiance out there with this radio ? Looking for a decent first radio before buying a base/mobile unit.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Any experiance out there with this radio ? Looking for a decent first radio before buying a base/mobile unit.

I received one as a birthday present last year, not long after they first came out. At that time, Yaesu had not yet released their free software, so I went with the RT Systems package, and couldn't have been more pleased.

The screen is a big plus, as is very easy to read. Programming in the field is a snap, too. The menu-driven interface is very well done. Audio is loud and clear. Battery life, even with the stock battery is fantastic (I did buy the extended version, just to have a second, since there is no charging port on the radio to use with a DC plug).

The casing is rugged enough to withstand a drop or 2, and the belt clip isn't terrible.

I don't know why they changed from the time-tested "standard sma" to the "reverse" version on the antenna connection.

It's not a perfect radio, but it's a lot of fun.

kayleesdad

It's not too difficult to program by hand. It doesn't desense when attached to a gain antenna on 2meters like cheaper radios do at my location.

The free software is okay, but doesn't convert to csv files readily so I can't use excel to use data from other radios.

The free yaesu software version 1.0.0 has one oddity where if you wnter a repeater from the software and turn the "auto offset" to "off" and put the offset direction to "plus" or "minus" as needed, then when downloading to the radio a 0.60 offset converts to a 0.55 offset. Correcting it in the radio and loading it back to the program fixes it for future downloads to the radio.

Control-c to copy a line and control-v to paste it to another line.

Chirp doesn't support it.

10 memory banks. Speaker sounds good.

Sporrt

I'd go with the Icom IC-T70A.

Better build quality, made in Japan. Has available 6 AA alkaline tray accessory.

jtderby

Premium Subscriber
It's definitely not the newest but you should consider the FT-60. Arguably one if the best HTs ever produced. Just check out the number of reviews on eHam. Great radio to cut your teeth on. I've got the other newer HTs but I still grab the FT-60 the most.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sporrt

FT-60 was my first Amateur transceiver.

My main complaints:
1. the bassy/muffled receive audio. No true narrowband receive makes monitoring Chicago PD challenging. Increasing the volume doesn't compensate.

2. NiMH battery is terrible. No shelf life (not even 3 days). Can't handle cool temps, 50°F a couple transmissions and it's dead.

I relegated it to the closet a couple years ago.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
New Radio

FT-60R is the best choice, easy to program from the keyboard, and solid build.

KM6SSK

My FT-60R is my first radio and it is GREAT! I believe the FT-65 is produced in China and is an attempt to get lower production costs. This may mean nothing or everything, depending on who is running the factory. Spend the extra money and get the tried and true FT-60R!

Status
Not open for further replies.