losing cpu software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
WS1040 losing cpu software?

Hi, I just purchased a WS1040. I have tried two different software programs and every time I try to program the radio it loses the CPU software. Is there something wrong with the scanner? I'm trying to figure out if its a factory defect or not. Thinking I should send it back.

Thanks, Marc

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That 'loses the CPU software' makes no sense whatsoever. Describe your symptoms, which of the 3 programming packages that support this radio you tried, and what you were doing at the time.

Perhaps this will help. 2 of the 3 popular programs have user guides that might prove useful, as well as the Easier to Read manual, found as links here...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
I download WIN500. I'm not even trying to program the radio. Just trying to learn the software. I have the scanner hooked up to the cable and computer, I look at it and the screen shows "no cpu software" I reinstall it and it works again for a short time. Then goes away again

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Your posts are a little difficult to understand.

I look at it and the screen shows "no cpu software"

What do you mean by "it"?

What are you looking at when you see that, the screen on the scanner or the screen on the computer? Are you sure that's the EXACT error message you are seeing?

I reinstall it

What are you reinstalling? The Win500 software, the scanner firmware, the drivers for the cable?

Then goes away again

What goes away? The Win500 software? the connection between the scanner and the computer?

You will need to be a lot more specific describing what is happening, that's the only way anyone can provide meaningful help for you.

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
Losing CPU software

It’s the scanner that keeps losing the CPU software. Once I tried to upload what I had stored in the scanner, the result was “no cpu software” on the scanner display.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It’s the scanner that keeps losing the CPU software. Once I tried to upload what I had stored in the scanner, the result was “no cpu software” on the scanner display.

When you say that you "reinstall it and it works for a while", what are you reinstalling?

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
The cpu software for the scanner. It seems to lose the cpu software when connected to the programming cable

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The cpu software for the scanner. It seems to lose the cpu software when connected to the programming cable

Where are you getting a “cpu software” file that you are reinstalling in the scanner?? Do you mean a firmware file??

As Mike mentioned in post #2 above, what you are describing and the terminology you are using just doesn’t make any sense.

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
It’s from Whistler’s website. It’s the only software available for the 1040. The file is called “CPU update” but the scanner display shows “no firmware” on one line. The next line shows “no CPU software”

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It’s from Whistler’s website. It’s the only software available for the 1040. The file is called “CPU update” but the scanner display shows “no firmware” on one line. The next line shows “no CPU software”

Sounds like returning it would be your best bet.

puterman

This file is for updating the CPU software in your scanner.
Hold the PGM key down and turn on your scanner. Now run the file. You will have to know which Com port to use. This will update your scanner to the new cpu file.

you will need a third party program to program the scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hold the PGM key down and turn on your scanner. Now run the file. You will have to know which Com port to use. This will update your scanner to the new cpu file.

you will need a third party program to program the scanner.

The OP said he has reinstalled the CPU update and it keeps getting deleted after working for a little while.

The OP also stated that he is using third party software (WIN500).

troymail

Silent Key
I'd return it and get a new one -- and I wouldn't rush to apply any CPU / firmware updates ... I don't think have been any for quite a while. I suspect you did this on that radio because there was a defect to start with (at least, that is what I am assuming based on what you've posted).

If you need help with Win500 after that, let us know.... happy to assist.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I just purchased a WS1040. I have tried two different software programs and every time I try to program the radio it loses the CPU software. Is there something wrong with the scanner? I'm trying to figure out if its a factory defect or not. Thinking I should send it back.

Thanks, Marc

Did you buy this scanner new?
Where did you buy this scanner?
If this is a used or EBAY scanner I would try to get my money back.

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
I did not try to upgrade the cpu/firmware until the scanner lost it. It was purchased new from Amazon. I am strongly considering sending it back. I’m concern that this is going to keep happening going forward.

Thanks for all the responses
Marc

Swipesy

Send it back to Amazon for an exchange. You would not be the first person to have received a broken scanner from Amazon that was previously returned to them and not telling Amazon that the unit was defective and Amazon reselling it to someone else.

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
Sent it back, bought a Uniden 996P2. Had the Uniden up and running in an hour. Should have just bought the Uniden right away. After having about a dozen Uniden’s I thought I would try something different. Thanks again for all your responses.

Marc

TedTobias

The problem is drum. Roll

I had the same problem. There could jave been a glitch in the server that supplies the software. I sent mine back the next one said the firmware was upto date so I left it along and went about my merry way programimg. No problems at all. So how do you like the Uniden I was thinking of getting ome cool unit.

KA1WBF

Premium Subscriber
Mine was also telling me the firmware was up to date, but when I tried to program the scanner it would lose the firmware. I kept reinstalling the firmware with no success. So far I love the Uniden. Had it programmed in no time at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.