Ohio LEERN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CincyKid

Is Ohio LEERN still in operation? I show a main frequency as 154.935. In recent years, I found their their signal was quite weak as opposed to earlier. Does anyone monitor or hear any transmissions from them?

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
Is Ohio LEERN still in operation? I show a main frequency as 154.935. In recent years, I found their their signal was quite weak as opposed to earlier. Does anyone monitor or hear any transmissions from them?

To whom are you referring to on LEERN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tazz

OSP Post 40 (Jackson) does a daily radio test at 9 a.m. on Ohio LEERN 154.935 MHz with Post 5 (Athens) and Post 73 (Portsmouth)

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
In Franklin & Delaware Counties, it is officially dead per the COIRS's radio system official website. Users wishing to contact a foreign agency are encouraged to switch directly to that agency's talkgroup. This is the entire goal of radio template standardization, to allow simplicity and efficiency.

I'm tired and don't feel like pulling up the MARCS page, but I'm pretty sure MARCS is going the same route with regards to a standardized format for radio templates, on the county level atleast. Eliminates confusion and enhances interoperability.

fyrfyter33

In Franklin & Delaware Counties, it is officially dead per the COIRS's radio system official website. Users wishing to contact a foreign agency are encouraged to switch directly to that agency's talkgroup. This is the entire goal of radio template standardization, to allow simplicity and efficiency.

I'm tired and don't feel like pulling up the MARCS page, but I'm pretty sure MARCS is going the same route with regards to a standardized format for radio templates, on the county level atleast. Eliminates confusion and enhances interoperability.

MARCS isn’t pushing it on a county level, besides regional M/A, statewide TGs and NIFOG requirements. You can still make the template how you want it. It’s usually the local radio provider who standardizes things across a county or area. Build one template and mirror everything after it.

Nasby

I haven't heard anyone on LEERN or Intercity/Statewide in years.

The highway patrol used to use these channels quite often when doing aircraft speed enforcement.

But MARCS and cell phones has changed the whole game now.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have heard OSP Columbus do a few alerts this year, but offhand, don't remember any in the last few weeks.

My reception of it is marginal and probably can't receive it now do to leafing out.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
OSP Post 40 (Jackson) does a daily radio test at 9 a.m. on Ohio LEERN 154.935 MHz with Post 5 (Athens) and Post 73 (Portsmouth)

As far as I know all of the OSP Districts continue to do the daily tests (District 1 at 0100, District 2 at 0200, etc) and do monitor LEERN as there are still agencies out there not on MARCS.

Now that all law enforcement in Franklin County and the surrounding counties are on MARCS (or some other system), it is all but dead here; I think even the patch the City of Columbus used to have between LEERN and the trunked system has been discontinued (haven't heard it in ages).

Even so, it is still a standard interop frequency for Ohio, so it's worth monitoring just on the off chance something interesting pops up.

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
When they do an ACB in Hamilton County they will simulcast it on the old Hamilton County East channel (460.025) and also on LEERN and every now and then you may hear some car to car traffic on LEERN on the West side of the county but other than that it is usually quiet.

CincyKid

Ironically, this afternoon, there was a call by the Hamilton County Sheriff's dispatch about an reckless driver in the far eastern section of the county (Loveland near I-275) that was also broadcast sino-select (sp?) and also on LEERN.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hamilton County's LEERN station was very over-powered. It was actually overpowering stations in the Columbus area. The FCC required stations to reduce power to just what was needed to cover their area of operations.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Hamilton County Communications Center (HCCC) will do broadcasts on LEERN for most BOLO's that involve something on a highway, I hear them several times a day. I have a UV-5R dedicated to the LEERN and ACB frequency.

CincyKid

On what frequency do you hear those All-County Broadcasts? Is it 460.025? I assume that LEERN is used for something on a highway so the Ohio State Highway Patrol cars will hear it.

gtaman

Hamilton County's LEERN station was very over-powered. It was actually overpowering stations in the Columbus area. The FCC required stations to reduce power to just what was needed to cover their area of operations.

Back on the TYPE II analog system in Columbus I would hear daily LEERN calls from Hamilton county all the time. That antenna on the courthouse could pick them up pretty good. It was then patched to the trunked system.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Back on the TYPE II analog system in Columbus I would hear daily LEERN calls from Hamilton county all the time. That antenna on the courthouse could pick them up pretty good. It was then patched to the trunked system.
They had a 200 watt transmitter on a 379 foot tower. I often received them in Franklin County on LEERN alone. When I worked there we could use LEERN (154.935) as a backup, it always had good coverage, with the more powerful mobile radios mounted in the cruisers (at times better than the body pack radios).

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
On what frequency do you hear those All-County Broadcasts? Is it 460.025? I assume that LEERN is used for something on a highway so the Ohio State Highway Patrol cars will hear it.
Hamilton County used to Simul-Select their all county broadcast on their county system along with LEERN (154.935), and they may still do so. (I moved away in 2000). LEERN (Law Enforcement Emergency Radio Network) use to be the primary interop system for Ohio, and every cruiser and dispatch center had it. There was also 39.580 MHz. when they were on low band many years ago which also had the same use. Now that most agencies are on MARCS which has interop talk groups LEERN doesn't get the use it use to but many agencies still have it available.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
Hamilton County used to Simul-Select their all county broadcast on their county system along with LEERN (154.935), and they may still do so. (I moved away in 2000). LEERN (Law Enforcement Emergency Radio Network) use to be the primary interop system for Ohio, and every cruiser and dispatch center had it. There was also 39.580 MHz. when they were on low band many years ago which also had the same use. Now that most agencies are on MARCS which has interop talk groups LEERN doesn't get the use it use to but many agencies still have it available.

I used to work for Middletown PD back in the late 90’s and then we didn’t have LEERN capability from our Dispatch consoles. I believe at the time only County Dispatch centers, State Highway Patrol, and mobile radios and portable radios could have LEERN in them.

Nasby

I used to work for Middletown PD back in the late 90’s and then we didn’t have LEERN capability from our Dispatch consoles. I believe at the time only County Dispatch centers, State Highway Patrol, and mobile radios and portable radios could have LEERN in them.

I think you are correct. City agencies (and often county sheriffs) mainly utilized Intercity in their base/consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.