• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX for Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvidRF

Anyone else having Apex for breakfast this morning? Upgrades and alignments on an entire county...the definition of monotony!

Attachments

• IMG_20180420_101450.jpg
    IMG_20180420_101450.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 887

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I had quite a few during Hurricane Harvey...

Attachments

• APX1.jpg
    APX1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 820

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My fingers (the ones that screw & unscrew the accessory port covers) hurt just looking at these pics.

AvidRF

And now I'm fighting with this R8100 that does't want to test modulation fidelity or symbol deviation correctly. Looks like a phone call is in order.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Darn it y'all....just when I think I don't have to take pics again....

aC90SRh.jpg

Left to Right: 8000XE (VHF/UHF/800), Some type of Uniden Scanner, 6000 (800Mhz), Uniden BCD436HP, 6000XE (800Mhz), 6000 (800Mhz).

Marshall KE4ZNR

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Marshall, when all those receive on the same TG at once, is it like a barbershop quartet - I mean, sextet?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Oh and the 3920 is a life saver.....here is one of two we have....

y1dP3j2.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall, when all those receive on the same TG at once, is it like a barbershop quartet - I mean, sextet?

I would ASSume so :cool: but I have them all programmed for different monitoring targets so thankfully I usually don't hear the same comms on 2 different radios :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

AvidRF

Darn it y'all....just when I think I don't have to take pics again....

aC90SRh.jpg

Left to Right: 8000XE (VHF/UHF/800), Some type of Uniden Scanner, 6000 (800Mhz), Uniden BCD436HP, 6000XE (800Mhz), 6000 (800Mhz).

Marshall KE4ZNR
I need one of those 8000XE's for a tech radio!

In the pic is a Trak9100 sitting dormant while my $255 Leo Bodnar GPS chucks out a dual 10mhz reference. Priceless.

Attachments

• IMG_20180420_112215.jpg
    IMG_20180420_112215.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 808

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
And of course you have a Rubidium standard connected to it, correct?

On our other one yes. Gotta have that time sync yo! :D This one (up until recently) was out in the field....I am getting everything updated on it and trying to set it up as dedicated shop unit.

Marshall KE4ZNR

CanesFan95

So where do you guys learn all this stuff and how do you get a job as a radio technician? Do you need an engineering degree or something? Or is this the kind of thing where colleges don't teach it? How do you learn to use one of those scope graph devices and what are they for?

Last edited by a moderator:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
So where do you guys learn all this stuff and how do you get a job as a radio technician? Do you need an engineering degree or something? Or is this the kind of thing where colleges don't teach it? How do you learn to use one of those scope graph devices and what are they for?
Personally, I earned an associate's degree in electronics from a local technical college (in 2011 so not too long ago) which was then able to procure an internship for me at the Virginia State Police radio shop where I learned as much as I could in about three and a half weeks. Including how to use service monitors like those pictured above.

Unfortunately, they weren't hiring at the time but several months later, a local Motorola dealer was looking for new technicians and was willing to take me in as a junior tech. The senior techs have been teaching me everything they know but I've also gained a lot of experience from working on whatever particular task I've been assigned that day/reading service manuals/playing around with old equipment at the shop.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
My meals have consisted of APX8000 and APX8500 daily for over a week now...a department is abandoning a VHF Phase 1 system to migrate to an existing 800 MHz Phase 1 system (though it's advertising Phase 2 nothing is setup for Phase 2).

Since the radios have to be used on two different systems...two different service monitors have been utilized to test both. The last week of my life has literally been spent updating radios, programming radios (not cloning), re-programming radios, testing radios for two tone decode, P25 voice functionality and call alert functionality. Just finished the last sub a few hours ago...

7213TEI.jpg

I tend to say I will bring a personally owned monitor versus using an Aeroflex...and the R2670 just so happens to be mine (the R8000 is my issued monitor).

Status
Not open for further replies.