PSR-800: No P-25 on VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
A few days ago my GRE PSR-800 basically went dead, and I didn't know why. I had an extra SD Card for my Whistler 1088, and put it in the PSR-800. The scanner came to life, except I can no longer received P-25 on VHF, but it works on conventional VHF.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

jimg

jimg

Premium Subscriber
A few days ago my GRE PSR-800 basically went dead, and I didn't know why. I had an extra SD Card for my Whistler 1088, and put it in the PSR-800. The scanner came to life, except I can no longer received P-25 on VHF, but it works on conventional VHF.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

jimg

I forgot to add that I am receiving 700/800 MHz, Phase 2, just like before. UHF/VHF conventional is fine--again it's only the P-25, Phase 2 VHF, that is not working.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Try a power reset. Is this a stock psr 800? Hacked? or has it had the official legacy upgrade?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
It is a stock PSR 800. How do I do a power reset? Please advise and thanks in advance.

Disconnect the usb cable, Pull the batteries and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds while pressing any other buttons. Reconnect power cable and test if all is fine reinstall the batteries. If not attempt a power reset again....it may take several attempts to solve the problem. It may also not fix your problem but it is worth a shot and I have seen it fix electronics including scanners doing strange things.

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
unless the PSR-800 is upgraded from Whistler then it only will recieve phase 1 not phase 2

jimg

Premium Subscriber
unless the PSR-800 is upgraded from Whistler then it only will recieve phase 1 not phase 2

OK, then the site must be Phase 1, as I'm still receiving it on my PSR-500, and, as I mentioned, was receiving it on my PSR-800.

Swipesy

That is an incorrect statement. The GRE PSR-800 was issued a firmware update by GRE just before its sale to Whistler and is Phase II compatible. The Whistler update makes the PSR-800 able to receive DMR and nothing to do with Phase II

troymail

Silent Key
That is an incorrect statement. The GRE PSR-800 was issued a firmware update by GRE just before its sale to Whistler and is Phase II compatible. The Whistler update makes the PSR-800 able to receive DMR and nothing to do with Phase II

Yup - assuming the Phase 2 update was done at some point in the past....sounds like it was because it has been stated that it did work at one time (and assuming we're only talking about this specific radio).

On a related note - I recall having some odd things occasionally happen in the past and reapplying the firmware would fix it... I don't know if it is still an option or not but if EZ Scan allows it, you may want to see if you can "refresh" (reapply) the firmware.

Another thought - I assume you are talking about a VHF Phase 2 system that worked in the past and are now talking about that same system - is that true? If so, has anything about that specific system potentially changed over time?

Just trying to come up with ideas.....

Swipesy

Actually, through the graciousness of Don Starr, a subsequent Firmware update (2.0) was issued to fix a EDACS issue. So 1.9 added Phase II and 2.0 (there is no 1.9) added EDACS. I don't know, becuase I never did the Legacy update, but it is a fair assumption the Whistler Legacy has all these previous updates included.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Yup - assuming the Phase 2 update was done at some point in the past....sounds like it was because it has been stated that it did work at one time (and assuming we're only talking about this specific radio).

On a related note - I recall having some odd things occasionally happen in the past and reapplying the firmware would fix it... I don't know if it is still an option or not but if EZ Scan allows it, you may want to see if you can "refresh" (reapply) the firmware.

Another thought - I assume you are talking about a VHF Phase 2 system that worked in the past and are now talking about that same system - is that true? If so, has anything about that specific system potentially changed over time?
Just trying to come up with ideas.....

Is there any way I can do the latest firmware? Please advise and thanks!

Swipesy

Is there any way I can do the latest firmware? Please advise and thanks!

If you are using a pure GRE PSR-800 that does not have the Whistler Legacy applied to it then you should have the following -

EZScan Version 1.09
CPU - 2.0
DSP 1.3

If you do not have at least EZScan V 1.08 installed go to the GRE.com website and download and install 1.8.

Then connect your scanner (powered off) to your PC and in EZScan do a Check for All up dates and you can bring your software and scanner to the above versions which will give you Phase II and the EDACS correction fix.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
If you are using a pure GRE PSR-800 that does not have the Whistler Legacy applied to it then you should have the following -

EZScan Version 1.09
CPU - 2.0
DSP 1.3

If you do not have at least EZScan V 1.08 installed go to the GRE.com website and download and install 1.8.

Then connect your scanner (powered off) to your PC and in EZScan do a Check for All up dates and you can bring your software and scanner to the above versions which will give you Phase II and the EDACS correction fix.

Please advise how I can check to see if I have the latest version. Thanks.

troymail

Silent Key
The best way is to hook your radio up to your PC with the USB cable and then go to EZ Scan and have it check for updates. It will tell you what version you have and what is available all at the same time.

Swipesy

Please advise how I can check to see if I have the latest version. Thanks.

I specifically detailed for you how to check your radio and Troymail repeated how to do it.

If you don't want to use the computer method then -

On your radio, hold in the power button and the menu button while turning on the radio and it will tell you what is installed on the radio - it will not tell you what version of EZScan is installed on your computer.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I specifically detailed for you how to check your radio and Troymail repeated how to do it.

If you don't want to use the computer method then -

On your radio, hold in the power button and the menu button while turning on the radio and it will tell you what is installed on the radio - it will not tell you what version of EZScan is installed on your computer.

I held the power button and the menu button while turning on the scanner, and here is what it showed:

uP Boot Ver: F1.0
uP Appl Ver: U1.8

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

Please advise what this means and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.