Small simple PC to stream. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannews

Premium Subscriber
Hi there,

I'm looking for something small that I can essentially just connect to lan or wifi, install streaming software and plug in a scanner audio input.

I don't want a massive pc box, just something small.

Does anyone have any ideas?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Mule1075, I looked at your little box. It says it's Intel but it also says the Windows 10 in it is unlicensed. Is that Kosher?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
A couple of suggestions:

1. Use an old laptop or netbook. Streaming software does not require a lot of processing power, so older machines will work. I'd suggest a machine with a processor speed of at least 1 GHz. 1.5 GHz won't cost much more and will probably be easier to find. Those machines will be pretty inexpensive, too.

2. If you don't mind doing a little work, a thin client will serve your purposes quite well. You'll have to delete the specialized thin client OS and install something like Windows 7 Embedded. You may also have to add some memory to it. My two feeds run off of one HP thin client with a 1.5 GHz processor. I modified it to use a conventional laptop hard drive and added 2 GB of memory to it. Note, however, that most thin clients don't have WiFi, just an Ethernet port.

Have fun!

mule1075

Feed Provider
A couple of suggestions:

1. Use an old laptop or netbook. Streaming software does not require a lot of processing power, so older machines will work. I'd suggest a machine with a processor speed of at least 1 GHz. 1.5 GHz won't cost much more and will probably be easier to find. Those machines will be pretty inexpensive, too.

2. If you don't mind doing a little work, a thin client will serve your purposes quite well. You'll have to delete the specialized thin client OS and install something like Windows 7 Embedded. You may also have to add some memory to it. My two feeds run off of one HP thin client with a 1.5 GHz processor. I modified it to use a conventional laptop hard drive and added 2 GB of memory to it. Note, however, that most thin clients don't have WiFi, just an Ethernet port.

Have fun!
Old laptops are good but sometimes older ones run quite hot. Thin clients I have read about but have no experience with.

A post in this thread suggested a pi. I have no experience with them either. Are they easy to use and setup I don't know. A lot of great suggestions so far.

DC31

Feed Provider
For my money, I would get the $10 raspberry pi zero ($25 with the various parts you will need)
https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Rasp...e=UTF8&qid=1524422083&sr=8-3&keywords=Pi+zero

Stream from a usb sound card:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Ex...428054&hash=item466e7fec0b:g:rb0AAOSwykZZ8WW3

A streaming application should be a set it up and forget it operation. The pi can be set up to start darkice when it boots and is very reliable. You just need to get used to it just running. No lights, no noise, no monitor, it just runs. Minimal power usage, less than 10 w. The drawback is that you need to program it using linux. Or find someone to image an SD card for you, set it up and mail it to you.

I have a CHIP micro computer that cost me something like $9 that doesn’t need the usb sound card. (They are no longer available). It runs linux and is very similar to the pi. I would sell it to you set up and ready to stream for $30 plus $10 shipping.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thin clients I have read about but have no experience with.

I used to setup HP thin-clients with embedded Windows XP. There are ok for that, but had some limitations for other uses.

Ebay is full of small form factor PC's from Dell, HP, and IBM/Lenova from older lease refreshes in large corporations. They usually come with two RS232 DB9 serial ports, which come in handy for scanner use as well! Very inexpensive, and inexpensive to run as they have low wattage power supplies. Windows XP, or Windows 7 is fine for streaming. No big security concerns.

DC31

Feed Provider
I used to setup HP thin-clients with embedded Windows XP. There are ok for that, but had some limitations for other uses.

Ebay is full of small form factor PC's from Dell, HP, and IBM/Lenova from older lease refreshes in large corporations. They usually come with two RS232 DB9 serial ports, which come in handy for scanner use as well! Very inexpensive, and inexpensive to run as they have low wattage power supplies. Windows XP, or Windows 7 is fine for streaming. No big security concerns.

"Ebay is full of small form factor PC's from Dell, HP, and IBM/Lenova" How about links to a couple so that everyone knows what you are referring to?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
All you have to do is go to eBay and search "thin client."

10-75

Feed Provider
I've been using HP thin clients with great success. The T620 works great. The best thing about using a thin client is you can lock the flash drive to keep anybody from hacking it. You can also find thin client laptops which are more expensive but are convenient in that you don't need an external screen plus it has the battery for a backup in the event of as power loss.... Both have worked great for me.... The only thing is you want to get the model with the biggest flash drive you can get if possible.

n5ims

A post in this thread suggested a pi. I have no experience with them either. Are they easy to use and setup I don't know. A lot of great suggestions so far.

This site's Wiki has detailed instructions for what is required and step-by-step instructions for setting up a Pi for streaming to Broadcastify.com so don't let your lack of experience deter you. There are even options available if you need them (one type is on sale or unavailable for example). The instructions assume you have zero experience with the Pi or even Linux so it may actually be easier going that route than using an OS you may be more comfortable.

Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Build - The RadioReference Wiki

Don't forget to make the appropriate changes to any scripts and/or commands to substitute your specific information for those in the script (e.g. change "your_source_password" with the password for your account, etc.). Also make sure that you use the correct characters (such as / vs. \ where instructed) and be careful using "-", "--", and "- -" where instructed.

JACK26

Agrees with DC31. For under $30 using an RPi you can stream to BCastify. It's especially easy if you're using a real scanner receiver and USB sound card.
Not so easy using rtl-sdr but is worth it once you get it working.
Forget about using old laptops :).

Status
Not open for further replies.