Racing Scanner PRO-444 Microphone Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryker1435

I have a Radio Shack Racing Scanner, PRO-444 and trying to be able to communicate between two headsets using the microphones and earpieces. I got Radio Shack microphone headsets and plugged them into the A and B ports. I can hear static in the headsets and when I hit the PTT button I hear an interruption in the earpiece, but I do not hear anything from the microphone. I tried a few headsets with the same results. Anyone have any suggestions?

GeneseeCoMI

I have a Radio Shack Racing Scanner, PRO-444 and trying to be able to communicate between two headsets using the microphones and earpieces. I got Radio Shack microphone headsets and plugged them into the A and B ports. I can hear static in the headsets and when I hit the PTT button I hear an interruption in the earpiece, but I do not hear anything from the microphone. I tried a few headsets with the same results. Anyone have any suggestions?

Scanners don't have microphones but they can't transmit, they only receive. You can use a pair of headphones to listen though. If you want to transmit, you'll need a transceiver. Some bands you'll need a license (amateur, GMRS) and some you don't (CB, FRS, MURS, marine).

Last edited:

Stryker1435

This model has A and B ports, each including a 2.5mm and 3.5mm port for a microphone and earpiece setup. With microphone headsets in both ports it says you can talk to the other person. I did not have a race tuned in the scanner and wondering if this is the cause.

Attachments

• Scanner_Side2.jpg
    Scanner_Side2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 162

GeneseeCoMI

This model has A and B ports, each including a 2.5mm and 3.5mm port for a microphone and earpiece setup. With microphone headsets in both ports it says you can talk to the other person. I did not have a race tuned in the scanner and wondering if this is the cause.

I see there's an "intercom option" whatever that means, that must be what the mic jacks are for. The manual doesn't really explain it though.

https://fccid.io/ADV0704/User-Manual/User-Manual-1290303

Again this radio does NOT transmit, it is clearly labelled as a receiver.

Last edited:

Stryker1435

I assumed the communication would be done internally through the scanner. There is another port on the scanner for a "Phone". You can insert a 3.5mm prong in the phone and also the scanner to talk on the phone. But this is a different port than the mic/headphone.

The manual doesn't say a whole lot. Does anyone have this scanner and mic/headsets that they use?

GeneseeCoMI

I assumed the communication would be done internally through the scanner. There is another port on the scanner for a "Phone". You can insert a 3.5mm prong in the phone and also the scanner to talk on the phone. But this is a different port than the mic/headphone.

The manual doesn't say a whole lot. Does anyone have this scanner and mic/headsets that they use?

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing you can somehow hook the headset up to your phone and the scanner to amplify the audio for phone calls via the scanner's speaker since races can get pretty loud.

Last edited:

wtp

try reading this one

file:///C:/Users/QQQQ/Downloads/Radio_Shack_PRO-444_User_Guide.pdf
well i'll be
it does say to push the PTT button to talk to another person...

GeneseeCoMI

file:///C:/Users/QQQQ/Downloads/Radio_Shack_PRO-444_User_Guide.pdf
well i'll be
it does say to push the PTT button to talk to another person...

The manual that I posted above (which calls the radio a receiver) says:

"Connect the Mic and Headphone twin jack into Intercom A or B jack. If you connect A jack, you
can talk with the mobile phone call".

So apparently you need a cell phone to talk to someone else. By just using the radio itself you can't.

Last edited:

garysvan

the way they work is if you connect 2 sets of headphone/mic units into the A and B jack sets on the same radio 2 people can talk to each other like a intercom at a loud racetrack.
he probably just does not have the correct ones to work with the radio i am surprised the manual does not list the compatible headsets to use they can be wired differently or have the wrong mike elements so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.