Uniden GPS puck died today

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

About five years ago, I bought the outboard GPS puck that Uniden sells such that I could utilize it with the Home Patrol 1 I had at the time. Well, today it bit the dust. The cigarette lighter adapter lights up when I plug it in, but the tiny red light on the unit itself is dark, and the 536HP shows no indication of a GPS being plugged in. I guess that I would have expected it to survive longer than five years, since it is all a solid state piece. Oh well, I will buy another one, but I wonder if others have had a GPS puck that survived only five years or even less.

Voyager

Did you measure the voltage at the connection to see if it's making it there?

The puck might be OK and the voltage converter died.

Voyager

Unless you can fix the converter. But for many people that is true that replacement is required, and professional repair is likely going to cost nearly as much.

My primary concern is whether perhaps it was spiked by the vehicle which would subject the new one to the same potential (pun intended).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No, I will try that tomorrow. In either case, though, I'm still out $80 for a new puck.

No.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMAJFUO/

It is the OEM for the Uniden puck, exact same case, internals, plug pinout, and wire colors. It's the one I mod to plug directly into the 536 if the customer doesn't have a puck. The only difference is the sticker on the top of the housing.

Also check your connections to make sure the GPS plug is fully seated into the Y-cable connector.

There's also this:
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-prospective-owners/368436-deal-gps-pucks.html

Last edited:

wbswetnam

"Also check your connections to make sure the GPS plug is fully seated into the Y-cable connector."

D'oh! That was it... it got slightly unplugged. It is working again. Thanks all!

JamesO

"Also check your connections to make sure the GPS plug is fully seated into the Y-cable connector."

D'oh! That was it... it got slightly unplugged. It is working again. Thanks all!

A really common problem with the kluge that Uniden came up with for this configuration.

Happens to me on occasion with all the cables in the car.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Now can you get the y cable seperate to hook into the scanner instead of that round plug and chopping it off

No.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMAJFUO/

It is the OEM for the Uniden puck, exact same case, internals, plug pinout, and wire colors. It's the one I mod to plug directly into the 536 if the customer doesn't have a puck. The only difference is the sticker on the top of the housing.

Also check your connections to make sure the GPS plug is fully seated into the Y-cable connector.

There's also this:
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-prospective-owners/368436-deal-gps-pucks.html

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Now can you get the y cable seperate to hook into the scanner instead of that round plug and chopping it off

You can only connect the GPS directly to the scanner if you mod the scanner to supply +5V power to the DB9 GPS connector. Othewise you need some kind of Y cable or inline battery to supply power to the GPS puck.

K9JLR

I will say, I've had the old Deluo Universal GPS pucks that were the rage back in 2006 when the 996T was first released. I bought one for the mobile scanner and one for my Kenwood TM-D700 for APRS. I direct wired both of them to the battery and they've worked solid ever since, and that's going on 12 years, so if anyone has one fail and can find one on ebay, they are workhorses.

Status
Not open for further replies.